image maps for terrain. Where?

Started by TheBadger, April 06, 2013, 04:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi,

I was looking at the tutorial by "Chinaski" http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=fdcc073f924ae32981fa0b1f088ebecd&topic=14415.30

I know where to find stuff for a single surface. But where do you guys find images for big swatches of terrain?

Any links to share for this purpose?

Thanks
It has been eaten.

Andrew March

I would imagine they create them in photoshop or a similar image editor. I tend to find smaller swatches of land and stitch them together in one layer, then build it up from there with more layers until I am happy with the final image.

TheBadger

Thank you.

I figured it was like anything else. But some of the terrain images in the tut from the op looked so specific that I thought maybe there was something dedicated to this specific use. Just wanted to know for sure.
It has been eaten.

Andrew March

Tell you what else is good.......

Google earth, zoom to wherever you want press screen print, open photoshop paste new image, remove the edges and watermarks using the clone brush. repeat until you have the size terrain image you want, tweak it etc and voila, uber terrain image map.

TheBadger

HAHA!! That is brilliant! I never would have thought of that. Does it really work?
Some examples of yours or someone else work where this was done?

This is innovation :)))) Very clever idea.
It has been eaten.

Andrew March

It definately works and the good thing about doing things like forests or fields with hedgerows in, is you know where the trees go. Very good for things like deserts, I find that getting the subtle details to look just right doesn't quite work in TG2 or any other programme but combine this with TG2 surfacing and it's spot on.