Intersect underlying

Started by TheBadger, April 13, 2013, 07:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

I have like 60 nodes for color. Great diversity and blending going on, but in some places colors can run a little muddy, which can also be good but can really be ugly too.

Intersect underlying documentation is a Work in progress. Could someone tell me a simple thing I can do with it to test how it effects my scene (other than just randomly changing values; which I hate doing).

I would like some better idea about Intersect underlying in general. But specifically I would like to gain better play between a large number of colors and other surface layers in my shaders node branch.

Thank you for some direction on this.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

It's a shame NWDA is down at the moment, Frank had done some videos on this. We've got some detailed in-progress documentation in development on it, I'll try to see if we can publish it despite being incomplete. It's a tricky feature that requires a lot of explanation or a lot of experimentation.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

QuoteIntersect underlying is an advanced effect which lets you control how this layer interacts with those underneath it.

This got me curious. Like some kind of layer blending mode in PS, or something.
Do you have any crops of a before and after, where these parameters were used to good effect?

Was that Tut you mentioned free? Perhaps someone will share it with me, if it is allowed by frank to do so?
It has been eaten.

Dune

I think it basically recalculates the terrain with the settings of the compute terrain. So if you set displacement intersection, but without smoothing in the surface shader and/or with a very small patch size in compute terrain, it won't have (much) effect. As soon as you raise patch size and with smoothing you see larger areas appear where the smaller displacements were 'averaged' out. And with the settings in the intersection tab you can refine those areas.

Tangled-Universe

Yes that's mostly it, in regard to displacement intersection (DI).

The shader uses the terrain's state from the last compute terrain. This compute terrain does NOT need to have smoothing enabled.
For best results the surface layer shader asks to enable smoothing, so do so.
The surface layer shader then generates a smoothed version of your last compute terrain before that surface layer shader.

The smoothed result's smoothness depends on the gradient patch size of that compute terrain.
Indeed, the smaller the gradient patch the more details the smoothed version of the terrain will have.
Yet, it will always be smoother than the unsmoothed, so with the right settings you will always see some kind of effect of IU with DI.

Now the intersection zone is a parameter which determines a kind of step size to read the smoothed version of the terrain as provided by the last compute terrain.
It will compare both states and determines where the two "intersect", which is mostly in depressions.
You can imagine this by having a sinus shaped terrain from -0.5 to 0.5m, which upon smoothing is flat @ 0m (for example).
With DI you can now "fill" the negative/depressed parts of the sinus shaped parts.
With correct settings you can even "fill" them completely.

Small values for intersection zone allow for detailled "filling" of smaller depressions.
High values for intersection zone uses large chunks of smoothed terrain and allows for filling large depressions, but as a consequence can also add a thick layer over non-depressed surfaces.

Now these things are nicely demonstrated by Matt's in progress documentation, so I'll leave the rest to Oshyan.
No need for NWDA here ;)

Cheers,
Martin

TheBadger

This just gets more interesting!

ok, so I guess I should wait for the documents, or just start trying to see what happens based on the info I have now.

In terms of process while working. Is this something you want to do a few layers at a time as you go? What I mean is, is it going to be really difficult to go back in after I have built a huge node tree and try to fine tune things using IU? Im just asking in terms of  best way to work/work order

It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

At this moment I wouldn't use more than 1 or 2 layers with these effects. It's getting just too complicated.
That's also where the in-progress documentation is rather incomplete at the moment and needs work.
It's complicated stuff, really.

paq

Hello,

Does anyone have this famous video ? Tangled-Universe explanations are really clear, but for some reason (probably mistake from my side) I can't make this effect working.

Or anyone has maybe a simple demo scene clearly showing the effect.

Many thanks

Gameloft

Oshyan

Ah, the Intersect Underlying docs are still coming. There are a ton of images in the document, so we ran into some little technical difficulties, but it should be sorted soon.

- Oshyan

Dune

Here you go. Study and play with the settings. Works on procedural terrain as well, of course.

paq

Thanks you very much Dune, a simple demo scene like that is so usefull when you discover a software !
Gameloft