3d coat

Started by mhaze, April 21, 2013, 06:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Anyone use this or have any experience with it?

efflux

I've used it. It's Linux as well and I use Linux. It's a great app. It has some flaws though. Maybe some have improved since I last tried it. Some tools were not multi core. The voxel sculpting is fantastic though. Another flaw though is that the realtime view isn't as detailed as say ZBrush which uses different tech.

I also think there was a certain amount of publicity damage because the developer is very religious. That's why the company is called Pilgway. There was stuff in the licence about the use of the app and religion. I'm not bothered about that but it seemed to stir up a lot of negative talk initially.

I'm a bit biased because I use Linux but I'm a lot less enthusiastic about that now. Linux has become a desktop disaster lately. Good apps now including a really good drawing app called Krita but Linux has so many desktop variations it's ridiculous. Krita for example used KDE libraries so you need that even if you choose Gnome or some other desktop that utilises different libraries. It's a real disaster area. I started using Archlinux since this allowed me control of what to install but it's geeky.

efflux

Another point is that I've got a Cintiq here and I must admit that this combined with the voxel sculpting is truly awesome even if I don't really use it much.

The preview uses your graphics card which ZBrush dorsn't need. Probably another factor as to why it hasn't taken off as much. I've got quite a powerful graphics card here so it's OK on my system but ZBrush will work on any old graphics card.