Things

Started by dandelO, May 14, 2013, 12:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Here are some things.

I was playing with fractal-scaled Voronoi and ended up in the pointless task of making some 'things' out of a sphere or two.
Stuck some weird shaders to them and couldn't decide which one, if any, I liked best. :/
A couple of obligatory shiny things are also stuck down below.
So, once again, I've sat and played with my balls all day.

p.s. I won't answer the 2 questions below, so don't bother asking me. :P

dandelO

The shiny things.

Dune

Well, at least the shiny things look very realistic. You can hang 'm high (in your X-mas tree).

Bjur

Interesting. Your shiny balls looking like some extraterrestrial metal/material.

I wish our forum would have a kind of "TG Experiments - RL things forbidden!" section for experiments like yours.
I've seen many intersting, strange and funny TG experiments by clicking myself thru all ages of our forum. They are scattered over the years
and buried by tons of usual RL related image renders. Difficult to find them again..
~ The annoying popularity of Vue brought me here.. ~

TheBadger

Oh there they are! I was wondering what my wife did with them... Oh wait. Mine are made of coper.
I'll just keep looking then.
It has been eaten.

j meyer

Hey Martin,nice experiments again.
Stay crazy,J.

dandelO

Cheers, folks! :) There's always something I can find to play with unconventionally in TG.
Bjur, yes, I remember, before I could use TG2, playing with TG.9 and reading these forums as a lurker for ages, trying to get a grasp on the new version. I would think of this place as the 'Planetside Mathematician's Forums', utterly hopeless! I was blown away by the things I was seeing here. You seem to have a great grasp on 3D graphics already so you're in a much better position than I was then to learn and get all crazy-experimental yourself! :)

Mahnmut

Once again you did it!
this is nearly exactly the effect I tried to achieve when I came up with this ages ago:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,4975.msg51548.html#msg51548
Although I liked the outcome then, I wouldn´t say I succeeded exactly.
May I ask How you got these nice wrinkles on your balls?
Cheers, Jan

matrix2003

Come on bro, How did you get these nice wrinkles on your balls?  ;)
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

dandelO

It's just a 2 octave(2.5m in all scale fields) fractal in the scale input of a Voronoi 3d diff scalar. The sphere has 5m radius so the fractal scale has 1/4 the size of the sphere, this makes a nice, smooth pattern to use to scale the cell structure by.
The amount of fractal effect is controlled by the fractal colour. In my colourful first Things I used these settings with a fractal 'colour contrast' of '1'. Contrast at '0' means no fractal influence on the Voronoi at all.

I have a clipfile, and also a 250 frame animation of the fractal-Voronoi moving between 0 and 1 on a sphere, but I can't seem to upload it here just now, I'll try and get them uploaded somewhere else and link back to them here in a reply...

dandelO

Hopefully get the clipfile up later, here's the animation as .gif, .mov isn't working...

TheBadger

I am only getting a single image with a dot gif extension. No animation that I can see?
It has been eaten.

dandelO

Not allowed to select any filetypes to upload here, except images. (because I'm on a mobile and not a computer, there's no fault).

So, the TG2 clipfile is in this .jpg.
Save the image, right-click it and select 'properties'. Go to the 'summary' tab and click on the 'comments' field. 'Select all', copy the text to the clipboard.
Lastly, click to focus the node-network area in TG and press 'ctrl+v', or use the 'edit>>paste' menu item to put the clipfile into the network.

What a pain in the arse, sorry. Maybe someone could post the clip text here as plain text, or .tgc.

dandelO

I give up.

Hetzen

Very cool Martin. This could be a good way to animate lava.