strange sky in win 7 64bit

Started by Dune, May 21, 2013, 04:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I think I've posted this before, but I'm still wondering what might cause this. Mobo ASUS P8Z68-V with internal VGA graphics, win 7 64bit SP1. The sky is not showing in the preview. I have installed some updated ASUS VGA drivers a year ago, but then the computer crashed when moving about in the preview, so it's back to basic.
Still, I'd like the sky to be visible. Any ideas?

jaf

I have to ask.... I see the enable/disable atmosphere in the preview is off.  It looks like what I get when my render camera is inside terrain.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

TheBadger

There would be a red warning light, if the camera was in the terrain?
It has been eaten.

jo

Hi Dune,

I've found that these problems happen if the Microsoft software OpenGL renderer is used. This typically happens when there aren't hardware drivers available. I found this out when testing on 64 bit Windows 8 Preview when the ATI drivers weren't working. I think this is probably what's happening in your case. I don't think there's anything much we can do about it. You need better OpenGL drivers. If you're still having driver issues for your internal graphics then the only solution might be a cheap graphics card.

Regards,

Jo

Matt

Does it improve if you press the ']' key a few times while the preview is highlighted? This adjusts the near and far clipping planes.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

jo

Hi Matt,

That doesn't usually help much. IIRC the depth buffer accuracy in the software renderer wasn't high enough. By the time the sky is looking alright other parts of the scene are showing problems.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

No the clipping indeed doesn't help, but I was advised to install newer chipset drivers, not VGA drivers. See what that does. Otherwise I'll throw in some graphics card. Thanks, guys.