A new plant from Walli, coming soon!

Started by TheBadger, May 23, 2013, 11:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi guys,

Walli is developing a new plant, lichen! I can tell you that the plant is very versatile, and can even be effectively used in ways other than first intended. More on that later

The point is that he is looking for feedback on the Silva3D.com FACEBOOK page, as to what interest there is in getting this plant out there.
Well I can tell you the world wont end if you don't have it in your collections, but you'll sure be glad to have it anyway. Its rather specific, but nonetheless dynamic. And of course its made by Walli, so you know its nice.
And he has said it may be a freebie!

He originally made this plant for me as a gift in a contest. But I think he has made some improvements to it since the versions that I have.

Now most importantly, He has said there is a possibility of a tutorial from him in English language! Well even if you know everything about everything, its great to have tuts from pros in your reference folders! Yes? Of course!

So.
If you facebook, and your interested in getting the model, please let Walli know. The announcement is on his facebook now.

I dont facebook, never have and never will, so I put this here.

Cheers.
It has been eaten.

Zairyn Arsyn

yay! cant wait.

its high time for good walli plant freebie
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Walli

hej, you are putting the bar very high, hope I can still pass that ;-)

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Walli

so, the first file is ready for download. I made it available on my personal website, because not all like to use Facebook.

http://wallis-eck.de/2013/2013/05/project-lichen/

more to come soon

cyphyr

Thank you :)
Now it shouldn't be a problem to populate it on Fake stones but how to get it onto rock objects ...
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

mhaze

Excellent thanks a really useful plant I have a use for it already!

TheBadger

Hi guys.

I just wanted to take a moment and post some things on the plants by walli.

I have had some versions of this plant for quite a while now and did a fair bit of playing with them.

In the OP I mentioned that the models can be used in ways other than as lichen.

Here are some of the uses you can get out of it.
Mulch, dead leaves/forest ground cover.

Here is the simple steps how, for people who may be new to this kind of work.

1) Make a copy of the texture in Walli's folder (do not alter the original in any way!!!!).
2) Save the new texture file with a name you will Not confuse with the original.
3) Now open the new copy of the texture in your photo editing software. Make a new layer and lock the original layer (layer one).

4) Now go on google and find some high quality dead leaves textures that are licensed for you to use and alter freely. Get some "mulch" photos too!

5) Take the best images you find and open them into the photo editing soft with wallies texture.

6) Start working in the new textures within the borders of wallies lichen texture Do it in a way that the leaf things of the lichen look like tree leaves. Or make each outgrowth of the lichen texture look like it is made up of several dead leaves... It dose not have to be perfect. Mostly you just need the appropriate color information and variations. Some crisp lines between one dead leaf and another wont hurt. If in doubt, just follow Walli's example

7) Do more than one version.

8) Save your versions with names that make sense to Walli's appropriate folder next to the original (do not replace original)

9) open TG2

10) import wallis TGO as is. or OBJ.

11) replace the lichen texture with your new dead leaves or mulch texture in the object internal node network. And save out a new tgo/obj to the folder walli provided. (DO NOT REPLACE THE ORIGINAL, make a new name ;D).

12) now open an appropriate scene for dead leaves or mulch. For dead leaves I recommend a forest scene with densely populated trees. For mulch, something with flower beds.

13) Populate the new object very densely and scale it using wire view. Don't make em' too big. Remember to use reference photos for scale.

14) now you have ground cover for a forest!

15) repeat as necessary to gain color variation and tone depth.

!5) add green plants and bushes on top. The dead leaves probably should not be the focus. But it makes a great added detail!

16) Show some love to your spouse or significant other, and don't forget to hug the little ones in your life. A drone could take them all away at any second. Because frankly, there is nothing to stop it if someone wants to do it. (RESIST and REFUSE!)

17) cheers.

Hey Walli! Thanks again man! Any new words to say?
It has been eaten.