VDISP

Started by Dune, May 27, 2013, 07:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walli

I think this shows the possibilities very well!

mhaze

I wondered about this but haven't got round to trying it.  This where a sculpting program would pay off!

efflux

My favourite one is VDISPtest_27-05-13-v3-1.jpg because the rocks look great. Nice lighting and the lighting inside makes it more mysterious.

Saurav

Very promising, waves and snow cornrices are all possible now through this tecinique.

efflux

Snow. That's a good one or ice. Maybe someone can try that. I haven't got around to this yet. The software I'm using is more convoluted to work out how to do it.

Dune

The problem with water is that it takes so long to render. And the 'backside' will have artifacts. Makes it no fun to work with. Next I will make some breaking sand dunes maybe  ;)

choronr

Nice one Ulco, is this the same set up as your earlier 'easy water?

efflux

I think one problem with water is that the texture you put over the top tends not to be related to the wave and in real life it would be. Maybe there are ways to change that relationship? Having said that, you did a good job here. Water is the most difficult thing to handle.

TheBadger

I have to say I don't like this up close. But from a certain distance it may be perfect? I know your just seeing what can be done still. But If you have time, what does a render from a far distance look like? I have stayed away from trying to do any waves by any method because of what people say about trying to do it them selves. maybe this can work though depending on the nature of the shot.
It has been eaten.

Dune

I was trying to get a real curl procedurally. Well, this is procedural, and I may succeed in a real curl yet, but this attempt works better than the ones I did more than a year ago.
@Bob: no, this is a completely different setup, like I said with some x to scalar, sinus, and some VD nodes in varying setups and follow-ups. But I will continue rendering as sand dunes, not water. The calculation of transparency through transparency gives these black dots.
@ Michael: I will do a distant one. You're right that it will look lots better!
@Efflux: what do you mean by texture put over the top not being related to the wave? You probably think of the foamy, more displaced  tops, starting to break. I was trying and almost succeeding in finding a relation between when the wave would be at its steepest/highest and where the curls would be. I might get there still, but it's tricky.

There's a set of nodes I need to re-invent to get more black space between a sinus...

choronr

As been said, 'nothing is impossible' - you'll get there Ulco.

mhaze

Dune

What am I doing wrong here? I got mudbox, made a sculpt, extracted VD map, but no matter how I do that, I don't get the same result as in mudbox. Can anyone (Mick?) explain how to go about it exactly?

mhaze

I have a feeling that TG does not correctly use  the displacement maps - try playing with the function multiplyers and offsets.  There is a thread on displacement offset  in tg maybe that will help

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,16183.0.html

mhaze

If you rotate the view so that the two are the same way round you might be able to see better what is going on. There seems to be some twisting how are you setting up the displacement.  If you are using an .exr you only need an image map shader and a vector displacement node