Simple Fractal Trees

Started by j meyer, May 28, 2013, 11:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Have been playing with fractal trees lately and these by-products so to say.
Anybody interested in stuff like that?

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Walli

I like it ;-) What system/tools did you use? Is it fractlas, or l-systems?

j meyer

Done 'manually' with Wings3d.
They are based on regular polygons and/or polyhedra.
I guess mathematicians would classify these under L-systems.

Walli

ah, now I understand! And then you added a subdivision thingy on top to smooth the shape. I like it.

TheBadger

Strange  :o

If you could get some gnarly displacement for bark, they could be quite interesting.
It has been eaten.

j meyer

Walli - exactly  :)

The Badger - you can easily displace them with PFs.

j meyer

Not exactly trees,but since that type of fractals is called tree fractals .... who cares anyway.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Tangled-Universe

I'm getting more interested in doing this kind of stuff every day since I have begun digging into Houdini's background and possibilities.

There's a great site with papers about research on plant growth.
Your first example shows a very nice and simple subdivision algorithm where each iteration bifurcates at a set angle when the distance is half of its previous distance.

Logically this simple algorithm has evolved into more complicated algorithms, but which give much more realstic and visually appealing results.
Here, for instance:
http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/selforg.sig2009.small.pdf

efflux

j meyer

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on June 03, 2013, 10:48:55 AM
Your first example shows a very nice and simple subdivision algorithm where each iteration bifurcates at a set angle when the distance is half of its previous distance.

Logically this simple algorithm has evolved into more complicated algorithms, but which give much more realstic and visually appealing results.

The first example has an other ratio than that.Based on an octagon.sorry, a square
of course.
I have made two more versions of that with different rotations and one looks a bit
more organic,but that is not my goal.As I said before these are by-products rather.
I've seen things like the pdf you linked to,but I don't understand these formulas.

Thanks to both of you for your interest.

TheBadger

T-U
Hope you will dive in! Not just walk around the edges. Just dont forget about TG2. We need you here.

J
Interesting objects in the last set of posts. Keep playing and posting when you can.
It has been eaten.