About sandripples...

Started by wiwine, May 31, 2013, 12:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiwine

I just saw another topic "Dust to dust" and it gives me the idea to present my own sand ripples.
They are made with a quite complex set of functions (elaborated during year 2009).
There are only a few black spots for which I can not explain the origin.
Any comments are welcome ! ;)

mhaze

Very nice sand the, rocks are good too.

choronr

Nice work. Have another one in the works which should be done soon.

Walli

very nice - if you now mix in some larger scale "ripples" and some areas without ripples , then this would be perfect.

Oshyan

Those are excellent! This is all procedural/function based, right? And it's displaced?

- Oshyan

wiwine

Yes, exactly. Asymetric sin functions, with multiple parameters to control their shape / size / orientation and displacement.

Hannes

This image looks amazing! Is this a GC terrain? Or did you use WM?
The ripples and the sand material look fantastic. The only thing I'd like to critisize is the POV. Maybe you could tilt up the camera a bit, so that the hills aren't cut off.

TheBadger

nice. Please continue developing.
It has been eaten.

efflux

Nice colour and texture contrast here with the sand and the rocks.

Volker Harun

Well, least to mention the lighting, which I adore ... I agree with Hannes about the PoV.

Dune

I don't know if I agree or disagree. It has a bit more creative feel with the cutoff mountains, with all in view it's more 'common', if you get my point. Here it's about shape, not landscape.

wiwine

The main goal was to show the sandripples, so the POV is low. For another render I will choose a higher point of vue.

londonsmee

Do like them ripples, any chance seeing that put in the texture Library. :-) 

Tangled-Universe

Cool ripples, definitely look great :)

I agree about the POV, but I can also understand Ulco's argument, so it's probably mostly a matter of personal taste.

I think a bit wider shot and slightly tilted up to expose the complete rocks could look better.
The wider shot allows you to keep enough focus on the ripples.

The rocks look quite good and it seems it's a WM/GC eroded terrain, isn't it?
I'm wondering how the displacements of this terrain look like when you apply the displacements/shaders of my free scene package of my website:
See here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15985.0.html
Or here directly:
http://www.cgscenery.com/arid_dl/

Cheers,
Martin

wiwine

Yes I used a WM terrain.
I just tried your package but there's a big difference between the scales of your terrain and mine, so it needs many changes in the parameters. I will see that in the next days.