Aquaponic farming is freaking cool!

Started by TheBadger, June 16, 2013, 04:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Aquaponics: where fish and vegetable join forces to fill my belly.

So I have been clicking around on links provided by others and ran into a link about Aquaponics. As a hobby gardner, I think Aquaponics really appeals to me. Its intellectually stimulating, environmentally sustainable, and given enough time and knowledge a likely source of income (farmers markets).
And again, I do love me some fresh fish and vegetables. I have even read that you can grow strawberries in the winter!

A little concerned about the esthetics of the set-ups though. Gardening is as much about appearances as purpose. Anyone know of any images that show a setup that is not just functional but also beautiful in apparence?!!

I am intrigued by the idea that you can do this stuff indoors, because I live in a place with long cold winters. Also, the idea of having frsh rainbow trout w lemon several times a week at almost no cost (after start up) really gets my taste buds excited!

Anyone into this sort of thing? Know anything about it? Would love to get some reliable info.
I have seen a huge range of prices. Even found a comprehensive manual for 35 dollars. And about 150$ to build one my self in one day.
It has been eaten.

AP

I had read about it here but you have to do a search in order to find the information on this. http://www.dailypaul.com/

I did however found quite a number of videos on You Tube.

Other then that I am not doing it myself as it looks to take way too much time away from wanting to do my Art related endeavors. I will however want to be growing a Vegetable Garden if I can get my butt up north soon.

I wish i knew more about this though.