New Windows is Windows 10!

Started by Upon Infinity, October 01, 2014, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

N810

Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

matrix2003

M$ has been it's own enemy for quite some time now.  Windows 8 was the last straw for me. They seem to go into self destruct mode with every other release. "Oh Windows 7 works? Lets break it."  8.1 (the big fix) a big joke. WAIT - Windows 9 will be a free upgrade to those poor suckers that paid for 8. Breaking news: before you can even install 9, WE WILL ANNOUNCE 10. At this rate I would expect evaluation copies of 11 by January.    ;)

EDIT: what is this madness?  They announced yesterday Windows 9 is free, and now today they are skipping 9 to sell you 10?
Can someone explain?    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469470,00.asp
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

Upon Infinity

Looks like 'Windows 9' is just being used interchangeably with the new version in the article, as they were assuming the next version would be 9 (a ridiculous notion for the 9th version of the software, since 10 is naturally a better sounding number).  Assuming PC mag's info is correct, I'm guessing the upgrade is still free.

bobbystahr

Let's hope it is just a re-branded 9 because I've noticed it's the odd numbered versions that are stable. ever since and likely before Win2K which was really NT5 in my books.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

jaf

Just curious: was winXP "Windows 5" and "Vista Windows 6"?  Can't remember seeing or reading that, but "7" and "8" seemed always part of the name.

I've seen the odd/even reference and while it seems to fit a good/bad trend, I don't think I would (personally) use that for a purchasing decision.  I'm sure the decision to go with "10" has a lot of MS marketing (rather than logic) behind it. 

I tend to always question advertising as "what aren't they telling me or how are they trying to fool me?"  ;D
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02