Canyon Blaze WIP

Started by choronr, June 26, 2013, 01:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

A quick render in which some adjustments will be made; namely, increasing the size of the Bristlecone Pine and reducing the sizes of the flowering Mouse Ear Chickweed - my friend Thelby offered these ideas - thanks Mark.

The light source for the fire is quite noisy; but, after doing a crop and full render, a much smoother image is attained - so, I'll leave that alone.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated; thanks,

Bob

Dune

Very nice start. I like the idea of a bushfire (virtual), but perhaps you should thicken the smoke. The sparks are nice, keep them!

choronr

Quote from: Dune on June 27, 2013, 01:24:48 AM
Very nice start. I like the idea of a bushfire (virtual), but perhaps you should thicken the smoke. The sparks are nice, keep them!
Thank you Ulco. I'll try thickening the smoke, As for the sparks, they're only the result of a noisy light source. When I did a cropped segment of the fire and did a full render of it, the noise is almost completely smoothed out.

TheBadger

The *shape* of the smoke is very good! I like it a lot. love to see fire in renders here. Waiting to see what you make happen here!
It has been eaten.

Dune

Quotenoisy light source
Or tick off 'glow in atmosphere'.

Hannes

I like the "sparks" too! :) And the smoke looks great.
Two suggestions: the terrain in the background looks a bit too smooth. Maybe you could add a little more fractal detail? And the tree could use some more bumpiness imho.

choronr

Thank you Ulco and Hannes. Although I finished the final render last night (10+ hours). I'll take a crack at trying your suggestions.

Ulco, the final render really smoothed out those sparks; but, if I turn off glow in atmo, I suspect that the reflection on the smoke won't look right.

Hannes, I agree about the terrain smoothness in the distance. I'll work with that and see if I can improve that. As for additional bump on the tree trunk, maybe some additional contrasts would help also?

I'll post the new final on a new thread.

choronr

Hannes, I'm wondering what might be the best way to treat the distant terrain smoothness without affecting the rest of the terrain ...any ideas?

Hannes

You could mask the additional power fractal by a distance shader. Near: black and far: white.

choronr

Thanks Hannes, I'll give that a try.

choronr

Will try doing that using a painted shader.

mhaze

Excellent I too like the sparks. I agree the ground looks a little smooth.  Look forward to seeing the next iteration.

choronr

Quote from: Hannes on June 28, 2013, 12:14:12 PM
You could mask the additional power fractal by a distance shader. Near: black and far: white.
Hi Hannes,

Tried adding a power fractal to the fractal terrain as a blending shader; added a distance shader to the power shader as a blend shader. The distance default of the distance shader is 10,000 (far) - I left this setting as is. The near setting was set to 800. No results was to be had. I tried many combinations; and, no result was gained. Initially, I  had bumped up the fractal shader from it's default of 1 to 6.25 displacement.

???

choronr

Quote from: mhaze on June 28, 2013, 01:33:19 PM
Excellent I too like the sparks. I agree the ground looks a little smooth.  Look forward to seeing the next iteration.
Thanks Mick, more work to do. Hopefully in a few more days it'll be finished.

Hannes

Bob, the near distance should be 0. Try adding a test surface layer to the whole terrain with your distance shader as colour function. So you can see which value you need for the far distance. The area you want to change should be white and the foreground black. I think 10000 may be too high. When you're happy with the distance shader you can delete your test surface layer afterwards.