floating trees

Started by Dune, July 08, 2013, 10:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Can spikes in a heightfield cause miscalculation by compute terrain, resulting in partly floating tree pops?

Tangled-Universe

I can't say for sure what's happening, but I do see an irregularity in your setup:
Some blending happens with, I think, a distribution shader, while that hasn't had any compute terrain/normal happening before it.
That output is being used somewhere else below in the screenshot and perhaps also further downstream out of view?
I'm wondering if the whole thing is being calculated correctly.

So if it turns out to be working correctly and as expected by you, then my next guess would be to either use the last shader which goes into the planet as the "sit on" shader or place a compute terrain with small enough patch size at the very end before your planet and only use that for your populations (and not into the planet node).

I run into these cases very rarely, but if I do then I have never been able to solve them, strangely enough.

Dune

If you set the distribution shader to final position it's no problem. I use them a lot before compute terrain.

And if you look at my last image, you'll see that I eradicated all nodes after compute to find the culprit... so it was before compute. Found it though, it was a very spiky fractal. Still I don't understand how these spikes, which you can only see some seconds after preview rendering starts all over, can cause the compute terrain to get parts of a pop to float  ???

It's ok now.

Tangled-Universe

Ah yes of course, the final position setting!

I can imagine why the spikes cause problems.
I think the compute nodes "average" the normals and position over the given patch size.
It's not difficult to imagine that a spike within a patch can greatly influence these "averages".

Matt should confirm, if necessary, whether this is the reason or not.

Dune

I thought about the same line, I might test this (in due time), see what happens.

Tangled-Universe

If you do so then I'm curious to see your findings.
Always good to know this kind of stuff for (future) problem solving and general knowledge/understanding.

Matt

I don't know why they would be floating.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.