Switch from Maya to Max?

Started by TheBadger, August 02, 2013, 02:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Thing or problem is, there are no "best" softwares for all tasks.
That is true (I find), but its only true because all software sucks. In 50 years it may be better, but I will be dead by then (probably).

So then its really a question of what kind of pain in the ass we are willing to endure for our work. How much will it cost, and how long will it take.

So true. Some day, god will let rain down little sad puppies because of that.. 

Yes. And then I will post in the darwin thread again.  ;)  ;D

Quotethinking about the dork UI and workflow of Maya as "beginner"..

I really understand.
But I can tell you the UI is not really so bad. It just feels that way when you start. Its overwhelming not because of the oder (which really is logical, for the most part) but because it just contains so much stuff.
After a relative short time the UI will make sense and you will even remember where things you need are located. After that, you will run into the real problem... Things that don't work as advertised. Thankfully, you can work through it.

The UI is also highly customizable. And I can tell you as a noob that I am making good progress now that Im over the initial learning curve (thanks to on line training; DT, youtube, google), Much faster than I have with TG2.

The thing I would say again, is I am learning to like Maya. But only because they gave it to me free. Free is important in this discussion. But honestly, also a little because I feel like I accomplished something I perceived as difficult.  ;D

QuoteBut they are lacking very basic but important things like sense for sequences of movements and
it's timings or a feel for scales or the behaviours of real world physics, just to name only a few things.

And composition.

I agree. Just look at the matte painting forums, those guys understand the basics. So even the "concept art" looks outstanding, despite that sometimes it looks like they used only 4 crayola crayons.
This makes me glad I have a traditional background in art. Now I just need some of the tech understanding that these wiz kids were born with, and I feel like I could do something I might be proud of.

Cheers to everyone who does not give up, despite all the obstacles! I love looking at the work, whatever tools you use.
It has been eaten.