Switch from Maya to Max?

Started by TheBadger, August 02, 2013, 02:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi,
Im just curious if people who have to use Maya, would prefer to switch to Max if they had the choice?

Max seems like it is better loved, better supported (plug-ins). It also seems like it does more than Maya out of the box. (less bugs?)

And then there is at least the appearance, of Max being simpler to use.

Im asking as someone who has never used max, but sees that tons of people use it. And as an OSX user who just saw max is available on my platform now.

Thoughts?
It has been eaten.

Walli

considering what I heard the last weeks, many max users actually fear that max is going down. Apart from that, you always have to question if one tool really has so many other features that are really of help for your work.
If you are mainly doing modeling and then render with tools like Terragen, then I would say that both Maya and Max are overrated. There are smaller, easier to use and more efficient packages out there.

red_planet

I'm rather intrigued as to where you discovered a version of Max for Mac...As far as I know you can only run Max on a Mac if you either bootcamp into Windows or run a Windows VM .. Parallels/Vmware etc from OSX.

Rgds

Puzzled Chris

And as Walli says there is a degree of uncertainty surroundinfg the future of Max following a presentation by Autodesk at Siggraph.

http://www.maxunderground.com/archives/19385_autodesk_siggraph_event_news___including_future_of_naiad.html

TheBadger

@Walli,
Thanks for the info.
I have branched into doing much more than modeling. Thanks to Ulco's deer, I have learned skinning weighting and now animating. I use maya. I am sure I will continue as far down the pipeline as I have time for. So I do want the full package.

It was a nightmare learning curve. I had to start over like 50 times! :o And start over for each new part. So I have re weighted the rig like 6 times because I make stupid mistakes. But I finally managed to learn the right way to do things.

every time I go on line to find info for maya, I end up seeing stuff for max also. And the max tuts I find always makes things look easier.
It may be just a "grass is always greener on the other side", kinda thing though.

@red_planet
Your absolutely right. Sorry. I went back and looked at autodesk ED. and it runs on parallels as well as bootcamp. I did not look closely enough.
Thanks for the link too. It relieves me that I still don't have a choice really.

So I guess that pretty much kills the OP question now anyway ;D Good!
One huge problem as a noob I have had, is sorting through all the available software and trying to decide whats right for me. It has driven me to brink of madness once or twice... Well, not quite that bad. But having fewer direct options helped me (forced me) to make a choice on what to invest my time in learning.

Well if max "dies" Maybe they will take the best parts and roll them into maya somehow? I really wish they would just make one super software.
It has been eaten.

PabloMack

When I heard that AutoDesk bought Max, Maya and SoftImage, it was extremely disturbing to me. I guess there is an upside to the same company owning all three. They can share ideas and source code more freely. Usually, when a company tries to buy up all of the competition, though, it means doom down the road for the users of the products that are being killed off. There are also obvious disadvantages to monopolies. Besides, I hate them. Should I say that I was releaved that I was a LW user and still am? I don't have that (same) threat breathing down my neck. And the license fees are cheaper than any of the AD products. I am under the impression that there are more options that give you a more complete package if you are a Maya user. LW isn't the best modeler package out there and it doesn't do some of the more advanced stuff very well like displacement. But for modelling I have Modo which works pretty well with LW and does some things that LW doesn't do at all (such as painting).  But the two working together well shouldn't surprise me since Modo was created by software developers who jumped overboard the NewTek ship. Together they make a pretty good work flow and TG adds some additional capabilities. I think engineering types like LW & Modo better than the Max/Maya products because they are not so Icon driven. Both LW and Modo run equally on the Mac and Wintel machines. I have discovered that engineers and artists really think differently in a lot of ways so having these choices is really a good thing.

Bjur

I'm asking myself right know in which useful software i should invest my spare time..

Thing or problem is, there are no "best" softwares for all tasks.

The question is what do you want to achieve or what do you want to do in all CG/digital wise?

What you are aiming for/at (CGI 3D still arts, Games, VFX, animation)?
Is it just your hobby or do you plan a carrier in the CGI industries?

To confuse you even more now, i throw in the node based "Houdini" software..
~ The annoying popularity of Vue brought me here.. ~

TheBadger

Hi Bjur, this is in response to your post, but not necessarily directed at you (despite that I quote you).

Usually I'm completely worthless for giving tech advice to others. But the planets have alined, and this time I think I can be helpful.  ;D  At least this may be of use to someone   ;)

Personally, I got very sick of searching for answers, but only finding worthless info.
For example I see this one all the time:
Q) "What soft is right for me. Which is best?"
A) "You have to try them all, they are all different. You need to find what works best for you".

Thats crap. They are all essentially the same. Only UI and tool sets vary, really. The principals of animation and modeling are the same regardless of what software you use.
But what does change is the cost and amount of instruction available.
Also, who has time to learn them all? You cant just try them, you have to learn them.
The real question is, "how long will it take to learn a software, and how much will it cost me?"
Because the big packages will all do most (if not all) of what you really need.

QuoteThing or problem is, there are no "best" softwares for all tasks.
That is true (I find), but its only true because all software sucks. In 50 years it may be better, but I will be dead by then (probably).

So then its really a question of what kind of pain in the ass we are willing to endure for our work. How much will it cost, and how long will it take.

Well, what kind of support do you have? If you have a question, is it as simple as just asking the guy next to you, or will you have to go on line and find the answers your self? Because some software is much better supported than others.
I think that there are some nicer softwares than what I have access to, but does that mean I could have learned them, even if I could afford them?

Quotethe question is what do you want to achieve or what do you want to do in all CG/digital wise?
What you are aiming for/at (CGI 3D still arts, Games, VFX, animation)?
Is it just your hobby or do you plan a carrier in the CGI industries?

Yes this is an important question! It took me a while to find an answer for my self. I had to learn as best I could what CG and VFX really is, first, before I could know the answer for my self.
As for me, I want to do two things in CG/vfx:

1) make independent films, and shorts. So for me, I need a full package.
2) Use CG/vfx in my non traditional printing/printmaking. <--This is why I first got Terragen2. And also why I first needed to learn modeling.

So now it is a question of $$money$$. As usual!

What can you afford in the first place, and what software is used in the field? But more importantly, what software is used at the place your likely to work?

All the big packages are used somewhere, right? Well yes, of course. Hollywood and the hollywoods of each nation are going to use all that stuff.
But most CG/VFX jobs are not in the entertainment capitals. And this does not even take into account proprietary software we have never heard of.

The bulk of the available jobs are in smaller markets and not even necessarily "entertainment" based.
And they don't pay $100,000 a year, not even close.
So If your adding debt to the cost of your education/mortgage/car payment/cost of living, for software and hardware. Then that could be a real big problem. Especially in todays economy. And lets face it, things are not going to be better again, for a long time, if ever.

Maya = $3,675.
3D Max = $3,675.
softimage = $3,145.
MODO 701=$1,495.
Cinema 4D Studio = 3,519
Houdini = 4,495.00
Blender = $0.

Professional computer workstation $2,000-8,000 and even much more (home render farm?=$$$$)

Then there is Mari, Nuke, Smoke, PS, After Effects, Mudbox, Z-brush and so on. All the plug-ins. And the special software for fire and water and the rest; Real Flow, FumeFX ect. $$$$$$$$$
Oh yeah, don't forget trees and plants. $900-$1500

If you buy all the things you need for one workflow/pipeline, assuming you already have a PC, your still looking at thousands of dollars + the cost of training and support.

Student license/ learning additions
I believe you can get all the big packages for a significantly reduced price. However, nearly all of those come with real big strings attached. Some of the strings are render limitations, yearly renewals, limited functionality, and for this you still have to pay$$$ And *most* require a student ID card.

The one exception I found is Autodesk.
No fee, no limitation, no render restrictions, no cost. And you don't need a campus/student ID. Its open to pretty much everyone. Just don't use it to make money, until you paid them their share.

By contrast Houdini (student HD) is $100 a year, and has render restrictions. So forget about using it in a printed portfolio. Training? Yes, but not much.
Also, where is Houdini used? Why learn it if you'll never get a job that uses it? Are you sure your going to be working on major films and advertising? Government contracts?

C4D (Student) $279 for 18months (some restrictions?) A possible good choice. But far and away, AutoDesk has the most free/low cost training available. Much much more than C4d or any of the others.
Do you really want to sit there and figure out everything by your self? Or do you want to make progress by benefiting from the experience of others, and get a job?

Free and low cost training

As I said Autodesk products have the most training available. Between Google, Youtube, and Digital Tutors (and a few other trainers) Something like 80% of all the online material available supportsMaya and 3D max.
From what I have seen, only Photoshop is better supported for tutorials (there is literally a photoshop tut for everything now)

furthermore, if you learn Max or Maya, rest assured that so do most of the companies you could potentially find employment with. At the very least, if you can learn Maya, they may trust you as a trainee, to learn the soft they do use.

Im not saying I like Maya, or Autodesk, or digital tutors here. Im just saying that this is the path through the forest of despair that is the software industry, that I found, and that can work for anyone.

As for the notion of corporatism and monopoly as mentioned above. I care more about what happens when I flush the toilet than I do about these questions.
Where software is concerned, I only care if it will empower me to do what I want, if I can afford it, and if I can learn it.

Frankly speaking ;) A little monopoly may help things :-*... Standardization in the soft/CG/VFX industry is a mess.

Feel free to add or take away from anything I said. Its just where Im at, and how I got to my conclusions.

Hope this will help someone thinking about expanding outward from Terragen. I guess its a little strange to come to 3d through Terragen, rather than Terragen through one of the other 3D packages. But that how I got here.

Cheers.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

There was a post about Lightwave training from a Lightwave user in that forum:

"Also, although we teach Lightwave, the important thing is that we teach the job.
How to become a VFX artist. That´s what in the end really lands jobs.
Not which sofware you learnt.
(I think our two-year graduates here get out with 5 or 6 different software package knowledge depending on the task at hand)

For all of you, maniacs of software brands, I was in Dreamworks two days ago watching an animator do his stuff.
What do you think they use for animation...Maya? nope Softimage? nope Lightwave? nope.
Max? keep guessing....C4D, Modo, Messiah, Windows Paint and nerve pills? nope.
An in-house tool with a strong OpenGL that shows channels, animation curves, and mmm-....that´s about it.
Can you learn this thing anywhere? nope. They want you to know how to animate. You show that with a strong reel. Period.

MPC recently checked one of our Houdini graduate students and told him they were interested.
Our student replied he had no Maya knowledge at all (didn´t make the full two year with us, just the final part)
and that he had heard that Maya was the thing being used at MPC.
Their reply "oh, don´t worry. You can´t find any of our in-house tools anywhere which is what we use"
Bottom line? Again, learn the job not the software.

At FX Animation we teach a job, and if we think Lightwave helps us to do for many reasons not found in other packages, so be it.
Also some companies help you to do your job, others impel you not to do so. We like the first type of companies.
So it´s not about finding lightwave jobs around people. It´s about teaching people to be good at VFX."

Not sure if that helps.

I for one i am a happy Ligthwave  user since 19 years .
It has its problems like others have too but for that price ( $1495 ) you get a full package with a great renderer.
If i have to, i could switch to another software, but to this day i did not need to.
But your mileage may vary of course .

TheBadger

^^ That is a great point Kadri!

I have heard some similar things before. If you Watch DVD "extras" of your favorite films. The ones where they show you how they made the movie. Its not really often that you see any of the software I listed above.

I cant remember the movie now. But I saw one "making of" special where they showed some proprietary soft as it was being used.
They did an interview with the software engineer and the artist working on that part of the project. It was nice to watch.

The engineer was saying how the artist would ask him to make the software do one thing or another, and the artist was saying how the engineer would ask him what he wanted to do, and how he wanted to do it.
They would work together until the artist got the vision on screen.
The thing is, the artist was not trying to learn animation, he already knew that.

I forgot to add lightwave to the list above :(

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

I found this recently.

It is a 2D animation. It helped me with the dear Im working on as much as any 3D tut.
Its completely great!! Take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INQx-Lzs8mU&feature=player_embedded

This stuff in priceless.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

OH wow!!! Thanks Kadri!
I wanted to ask for more from this guy. But I thought I should not ask, I really don't know why.

THANK you! That one video I posted helped me a ton. I cannot even imagine how much your links will help. 8) 8) 8)

I was watching the only video I found, and wished I had access to this guy as a teacher. ;D ;D ;D

Quote$959.50
AHHHH shit!  :'(

It has been eaten.

Bjur

Interesting read..  :)

@ Badger: Thx for your answeres/thoughts.

When i was reading your detailed post it felt like my thoughts got some kind of "mirrored", hehe.

Mostly anything you said and mentioned i think or see it the same way.

Quote from: TheBadger on August 04, 2013, 04:00:11 PM

QuoteThing or problem is, there are no "best" softwares for all tasks.
That is true (I find), but its only true because all software sucks. In 50 years it may be better, but I will be dead by then (probably).

So then its really a question of what kind of pain in the ass we are willing to endure for our work. How much will it cost, and how long will it take.

So true. Some day, god will let rain down little sad puppies because of that..  :(

CGI wise, for now i may stay with Maya and my VERY little knowledge about it i guess.
Even I still don't feel very comfortable with it it's because the reasons you have mentioned (+ CGI dept. of my uni is mainly Autodesk/Maya based BTW.).

But I still see myself as a kind of blank piece of white paper as i have just a very short history of making CGI's myself right now
without have been addicted to special favourites in my past.

You can imagine the temptations of other softwares, and the wish to learn them right from the start now, are quite huge
everytime I'm facing or even thinking about the dork UI and workflow of Maya as "beginner"..

When thinking about VFX, Houdini as software seems to be a very interesting addition as i think it will become more
and more popular to many pipelines in the future beside movie/feature production pipelines right now.

But the restrictions of the student version, indeed, really sucks..

Quote from: Kadri on August 04, 2013, 05:05:35 PM

.. "learn the job not the software."

He is right.

Reading this quote reminds me of lots of young CGI ppl at my university.

They are like "tech-nerd-zombies", knowing Maya and other softwares and tons of it's technical secrets for example,
at least they are knowing by far more then i do or ever will.

But they are lacking very basic but important things like sense for sequences of movements and
it's timings or a feel for scales or the behaviours of real world physics, just to name only a few things.

Most of the important stuff which would let their work/animations become "looking awesome" in the end just gets overseen or ignored again and again
(even after visiting courses which taught such things).

Ok, some of those just want to become script programmers/coders or developers generally..

I just wish I would have their technical knowledge but for using it for making good animations - not for developing artist torturing functions,
UI's and workflows in the future.  :D

Alex
~ The annoying popularity of Vue brought me here.. ~