Hummer

Started by yossam, August 10, 2013, 07:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

Get your mind out of the gutter.....................................

Mr_Lamppost

Technically it is difficult to fault this image, the rendering is very well done.

Artistically however, I find that the tonal similarity between the bird and background robs the image of focus.  My eye is drawn to the pink flowers before I notice the bird.   
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

yossam

What would you suggest........................

TheBadger

I agree with Mr lamppost. But I think Yossam is correct in the initial treatment. I have lots of humming birds that visit my garden, their all nearly invisible... small and perfectly camouflaged for a garden!

DOF would be a possible solution. But pesrsonaly I would scour the bird photograhy sites to see how people who focus :P on humming birds treat the images.

just google "hummingbird photography" and search images. plenty of good examples.
It has been eaten.

yossam

Just for fun.............this is a height map generated by PS 3d capabilities.

mhaze

The displacement on the leaves looks excessive. Otherwise I agree with others that the pink dominates rather than the bird. Nice idea though.

Mr_Lamppost

If you do as The Badger suggests and search for images of humming birds you will see that almost all view the bird side on with it silhouetted against an extremely out of focus,almost abstract background. there is usually also some contrast between the bird and background.  You don't want to change the whole image but could you add a plant so that there is another large pale leaf like those in the lower right, behind the bird?  If you could get the head and part of a wing into semi silhouette it may be enough to attract the viewer's  attention away from the pink flowers.   There is not enough distance between the bird and background for you to much more with DOF without it looking over done and fake.

yossam

As far as the displacement on the leaves goes............................it is at 0. I think maybe the displacement is baked into the mesh. I did a search as Badger suggested..............got the same results you got. Will work on this some more when time permits.

yossam

Worked on the maps.....................any better?

TheBadger

Yes!
And if your tied of messing with the maps, another way to further bring them into your control may be to use a fake light (rather than just the sun) to do the lighting.
Consider a studio lighting set up for out doors (the idea, not exactly this setup here): http://www.the-digital-picture.com/photography-tips/Hummingbird-Photography-Tips.aspx Scroll down to the images of his outdoor photo set up.

So perhaps a setting sun level of "natural" light. Mixed with some controlled spots? Along with a more precise DOF. And I think you'll have something pretty smooth.

Just some thoughts on it Yossam, thats all.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Or some (black) cloud to disguise the features of the background a little more.

TheBadger

^^ Ahh yes, or morning mist? Would allow for some nice color blending too.
It has been eaten.

yossam

Mist added...................

mhaze

Mr_Lamppost

Nice one.  That little bit of mist did the trick  ;D