An old beginner

Started by Tim O'Donoghue, August 20, 2013, 08:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim O'Donoghue

Hi all;

After several years off, concentrating on photography, work, and too many side projects to count, it's time to take another look at Terragen.

I seem to have missed a few versions in the interim, so I'm a beginner again. I like that idea. 

I'll be using the basic free version for now until I get a better handle on the new interface, and probably reusing a lot of my old real-world TER files made from DEMs. I've also switched over to the Mac side of things instead of Windows.

I'm sure I'll be in and out of the various forum areas looking for ideas, inspiration  and assistance, and to see if I recognize any old faces from the early days of Terragen.

Tim O

Oshyan

Wow, talk about a blast from the past - welcome back Tim! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. TG3 is quite a different beast from old Terragen Classic (what we ended up calling Terragen 0.9x), but you sure can do a heckuvalot more. And you can use it similarly to TG Classic for basic scene construction too, just using the node lists on the left side.

Don't hesitate to ask questions when you have them. :)

- Oshyan

Tim O'Donoghue

Hi Oshyan;

Yep - it's been a while.  :)

My first challenge is going to be digging the render camera out from under about a kilometer of rock in the Cascades near Mount Rainier.  Back to the tutorial. :)

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions and D'oh! moments.

jo

Welcome back Tim, a please to see you here again :-).

Regards,

Jo

Tim O'Donoghue

Hi Jo - thanks!  Good to see you're still here too.

Tim O

inkydigit

Hi Tim, great to see you again!
look forward to seeing you about here!
cheers
Jason

Kevin F

Good to see you back Tim. Looking forward to your future efforts!

Tim O'Donoghue

Thanks, Jason and Kevin - it's good to be back.

yossam

The name rings a bell.................how long has it been?

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tim O'Donoghue

Thanks, Matt.  I see you've made a few small changes to Terragen. Well done!  :)

Tim O'Donoghue

Quote from: yossam on August 21, 2013, 11:43:20 AM
The name rings a bell.................how long has it been?
Ermmm... about 6 years or more. I seem to have been otherwise occupied. Still ... it doesn't seem like that long.

yossam

Did you used to have a website with terrains and other things for Terragen?

Tim O'Donoghue

Quote from: yossam on August 21, 2013, 08:46:24 PM
Did you used to have a website with terrains and other things for Terragen?

Yes - I had a small selection of terrains and such.

yossam

That is where I remember you from...............welcome back.