Linux

Started by efflux, December 25, 2006, 01:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

It has been mentioned that we will be able to eventually render on Linux machines but I would really like to see a full TG2 app running under Linux. I know this won't be a major priority yet but my preference would definitely be a Linux version over both Mac and Windows. I have PCs here that will not be going Vista. One already has Linux Ubuntu installed which is a great operating system. Just in case it seems as though we are all on Windows. I have a Mac G5 but any PCs I build in the future will have Linux installed and they will end up my most powerful systems. I'm sure there are others using Linux and this will almost certainly grow.

Oshyan

I think it's safe to say we'll do a full Linux version with GUI when it makes financial sense to do so. We're a small company and can't afford to support a platform unless there will be a good number of sales for it. If it seems like Linux will be that sort of platform I'd love to support it. In the meantime some people have had success getting TG2 running under Wine...

- Oshyan

Tim O'Donoghue

If anyone continues to have difficulties running Terragen under WINE, I'd suggest trying Crossover Office as an alternative. It's a commercial product, and many issues such as installation have been streamlined and don't require as much hacking to get apps running. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/ If you'd rather start with the source code, that's available (free) as well. http://www.codeweavers.com/products/source/

Tim O

efflux

I did try to get TG v0.9 working on Wine but I couldn't. I might try again with TG2. The trouble with Wine is that they fix one thing and then break another so with each upgrade there is no telling what will work.

nemo

As far as running TG under wine. 0.9 can easily be done with no problem. Here is a link to explain how. It's not hard at all. http://porpoisehead.net/hi/?q=node/22

TG2TP however, while you can indeed render the scene while in linux, Some people have trouble due to some distributions handling of opengl. So some can and others may have trouble.

As for being profitable. I think it would indeed. More and more people are switching over to linux. In part because of it's stability, and safety. as well as little to no cost, depending on Distribution. KDE is a lot like windows so it's getting easier for people to find there way around.

Linspire and it's little brother Freespire have CNR Warehouse which hosts a ton of software for purchase as well as free, and they seem to be doing quite well, Which I believe shows that people are willing to pay for software even on linux providing it's good software.

I am pretty sure there are a lot of people like me, that use Linux more than windows and would like to see TG there without having to go through emulators and stuff. I paid for 0.9 yet I don't even have it installed on windows.  I paid over $300.00 for C4d, yet it's not installed on windows. and the list goes on. So by working (even if just in spare time), on a linux version, you not only make it easier for those, like me, that have to play around with wine or cross over, but you would most definately pick up some new customers as well. It's just good business since. After all there are just as many Linux users as there are MAC users now and yet there is a MAC version. ???

Oshyan

Quote from: nemo on December 27, 2006, 09:52:14 PM
After all there are just as many Linux users as there are MAC users now and yet there is a MAC version. ???

Except that the Mac platform is a whole lot easier to support because it's a single, unified OS. We don't even support versions of OS X more than a few major revisions back. Trying to support even just the most popular flavors of Linux and the various desktops with a full GUI implementation would be much more difficult unfortunately.

- Oshyan

nemo

Well I can see your understanding there. I just think it sounds more difficult than it is. I can honestly say I never tried to program anything for linux. But seeing how most of the popular dist. of linux are debian based, then just starting out with a Debian version would more than likely work on several of the popular dist. of linux. Just to name a few...

Adamantix
APLINUX
BenHur
Corel Linux
Debian
Debian JP
DemoLinux
Demudi
Embedded Debian
ESware Linux
Euronode
Floppix
FreeSpire
Gibraltar
Impi Linux
Kanotix
KNOPPIX
Kubuntu
Libranet
Linspire
Linex
Linuxin
Linux-YeS
MEPIS
M.N.I.S. Linux
Morphix
PingOO
Progeny Linux
Prosa,
RAYS LX
Stonegate
Storm Linux
Ubuntu
Xandros

Most all of these will support the same software that debian will support.

rajm

Quote from: efflux on December 26, 2006, 02:49:16 AM
I did try to get TG v0.9 working on Wine but I couldn't. I might try again with TG2. The trouble with Wine is that they fix one thing and then break another so with each upgrade there is no telling what will work.
Has anyone tried it with 0.9.28 of wine yet? The release notes for this say:
QuoteOpenGL in child windows should work again.
I'm still waiting for a mandriva rpm  of that version, but if someone claims it works, I might be tempted to do source code compile  ;)

swiftstream

rajm,

Thanks for the heads up--I hadn't even noticed the new version.

0.9.28 works much better than 0.9.27, to the extent that I think it's now reasonable to use it seriously. The 3d Preview is now in the correct place, and the node overview doesn't expand to take up the whole screen whenever you mouse over it. Instead of uniform gray, the rest of the UI now shows random noise--but the UI seems to be slightly better at sticking around after mouseovers and other events than it used to be.. In addition, now that the node overview works well, you can edit node properties by double-clicking on that node--the window that pops up shows up fine, perfect other than not displaying button icons, which are uniformly unimportant here. This was you can avoid using the left panel entirely, though you'll have to get used to how the node interface works.

I tried a simple test render, and it worked fine--though it took 8:59 as opposed to 7:25 under Windows XP Home (I dual boot), a hit of about 20%. I don't know if that is overhead due to WINE, or due to other processes running--it wasn't a scientific benchmark.

It would still be nice to get the left UI panel working, of course.

[On a side note: I downloaded the Crossover Office 6.0 beta, and in addition to not running TG any better than WINE 0.9.27, it doesn't close properly--it uses 99% of the processor after you quit, so that you have to kill the process manually.]

rajm

Thanks for this confirmation - I'll wait for a few more days and if an rpm doesn't appear do a source build - I'm guessing you're using the slackware?

Has anyone tried using tdgcli and wine for a non-gui render? - I just get an error and the gui appears

Robert

swiftstream

I'm actually running Ubuntu 6.10--I guess I should have specified that.

I'll give the command line a try later tonight.

swiftstream

Ok, TG2's command line support appears to be broken right now. See e.g. this post. Perhaps there's already been a fix issued for people who pre-ordered it... but I haven't, and mine isn't working.

Other than that, I don't get any errors from WINE...

rajm

Thanks for spotting that - I rashly assumed it was a quirk of running under Wine

R

nemo

I am working on a work around for it. As I am sure anyone who has tried to get it to work, you noticed that the preview window comes up and so does the node window but everything on the left is greyed out. Well I got everything on the left working now but the preview window is greyed out. lol

But I think I might be able to get it to work properly before too long. I will be working on it some more tonight after my New Years party.

rajm

Quote from: rajm on December 31, 2006, 07:49:27 AM
Thanks for this confirmation - I'll wait for a few more days and if an rpm doesn't appear do a source build
I decided that the computer might as well be kept busy on New Years eve  ;D and lastnight built from source - and yes I see that things are a lot better! Some of the controls I have difficulty in getting to (eg fractal breakup when editing surface layers) moving the mouse (some of?) the controls forces a redraw and everything goes black, but I'm working my way around it!

Robert