Terragen 3 Colour Variation in Populations.

Started by Upon Infinity, August 27, 2013, 09:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

I'm sure it's right in front of me, but can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this.

yossam

Click on your pop object in your objects window. You will see a tab called color..............click it and you have two choices of variation. I have only used the tint diffuse with a PF so far but once you get your scale set it works wonders.  :)

Upon Infinity

Yep, not working.  Am I the only one who can't figure this out?  I haven't seen anyone else mention this.  Do you set the colour variance in the PF shader itself?

yossam

Use a PF as the color variance. The scale will affect the variance..............it works really well. You might have to adjust your diffuse color to get the color range you want.

RArcher

This should get you started.

Upon Infinity

Thanks, guys.  I finally got it started.  The feature gets a 9 for usefulness and a 4 for user-friendliness.

bobbystahr

Looking at RArcher's example I can see that my 'colour blindness' is an issue with this feature as it's dealing in areas I have little differentiation on. Such is life.. ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AndyWelder

Thank you, Ryan, for the .TGD! I distilled a clipfile from it for use in other projects (In other words I did save the PF used for the colour variation and named it "Colour Variation PF"  ;D)
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

jo

Hi,

Quote from: UponInfinity on August 29, 2013, 11:51:32 PM
The feature gets a 9 for usefulness and a 4 for user-friendliness.

Well, not to defend the user friendliness too much, but it works basically like a colour overlay that tints the population. You can use any colour shaders/functions to create the colour map, not just power fractals. You can use an image map shader for example.

I notice the documentation for the Populator v4 Colour tab hasn't been added yet, I'll get onto that.

Regards,

Jo

Dune

I haven't used it yet actually (no need for me) but I believe it does work on all parts of an object, doesn't it? So if you only want the bark or leaves of a tree to vary you'd need the 'old' setup.

reck

That is correct Dune which means it's really only suitable for distance shots until it can be restricted to certain parts of the object.

Matt posted a workaround for this limitation which involved getting rid of the default shader (colour variation only works with the default shader) and replacing with something else.

AndyWelder

QuoteMatt posted a workaround for this limitation which involved getting rid of the default shader (colour variation only works with the default shader) and replacing with something else.
Reck, could you post a link, please?
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

reck

Here you go Andy

QuoteThere will be a way to do this in a future version, but not in the current version. However, the population tinting currently only affects Default Shaders, so knowing this you might be able to replace the trunk's shader with an Image Map Shader (but don't forget to set its projection mode to UVs like the Default Shader).

Matt

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,16385.msg161138.html#msg161138

bobbystahr

Well I got some gumption up and tried the colour variance...only on a grassy field but I like it...Will most def experiment further.
Thanks for all the input here....something twigged in my brain through it all.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

choronr

Thank you Ryan, this will make an important reference.