Crater impact debris

Started by skarlath, August 30, 2013, 04:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skarlath

Does anyone know how to create the effect in the image where you have a large impact then streaks where the debris have fallen back down spreading across the moon

Dune

I'd use a drawn mask, or figure something out in WM, and (only) use the flow masks.

TheBadger

The easiest way I can think of is to use a mask like Ulco said. Grey scale.

The other things you can do just get more and more complex after that. There is a script around here some place for making craters. You could use that on a default planet, and then apply your newly made mask to one of those craters. Check the results, refine, and do it again. Just to see if the look is good enough.

I imagine you could also just break off a part of a high res Moon Map and just project that, apply displacement and see if that would work... I suspect it would. IF you dont want your craters to appear to much like the moon. Then just use a part of the map from the dark side.
It has been eaten.

skarlath

This is what ive managed to get with some PF and masks

TheBadger

Not to shabby!
I would break of a part of a moon map and project that to add some details like your OP has. Not sure what the finished look your after is, but it may help to increase displacement levels from the maps your using.

I have to say that the fact that used the same map over and over is obvious though. Looks like you got it working, so now I would go back and really get into details.
It has been eaten.

skarlath

Quote from: TheBadger on August 30, 2013, 05:10:17 AM
Not to shabby!
I would break of a part of a moon map and project that to add some details like your OP has. Not sure what the finished look your after is, but it may help to increase displacement levels from the maps your using.

I have to say that the fact that used the same map over and over is obvious though. Looks like you got it working, so now I would go back and really get into details.

yea its intended to have large displacement, im just trying to get it moonish looking but different coloring

billhd

These formations are "rays", found on many rocky bodies.  Many craters have some form of ejecta: rocks and*or coloration.  What you are asking for is some kind of radial function.  Are your craters formed from the TG crater shader or a PF?  If the crater shader, one thought is to use the rim part to mask coloration, but that does not get you radial and maybe that's what you are showing.  Perhaps some noise stretching in a few directions from a center.  In response to your query I tried some coloration approaches using the a SSS 9-sided polygon.  With edge at a high percentage there appeared some radial features in the coloration applied to a surface which I tried to get to be a star-shaped mask by using a color adjust, and a distance shader to mask the periphery which tended to show the polygon outline.  No success.  An involute polygon option on the SSS would do the trick for this approach, its mask could be dirtied with further masking to get an irregular result.  BTW your rendering reminds me a lot of Jupiter's moon Callisto.

I had another idea that begets a question.  If we were to displace some color spires up from a crater with a PF, and then warp them so they lean beyond the rim in various directions radically (and radially sort of), could the result as a layer get fed to another layer's color function only and used with the displacement thus suppressed, creating some radial color effect? Thus effecting a displacement just for the purpose of computing the altitude for applying color selectively, but not displacing the main terrain. 

However in reading a thread on the effect of various warp that dandelio posted, I think the above may not be possible.

Another possibility might lie in trig functions.  Sin function will get you concentric formations.  I played around with the arc trig functions since they are the inverse but did not achieve anything notable.

Now this just occurred to me:  you could use several very high aspect ratio SSSs, perhaps the ellipse, with common centers at the crater center as a mask, and mask them in turn to roughen them.  One crater at a time.

For the hyper-realistic minded, note the prominent light-rayed Tycho crater near the bottom  in skarlath's posted pic of the moon; the rays do not always converge on the crater itself, and the other prominent light crater above center, Copernicus, has a ray pattern that is closer to a fractal Lichtenberg figure.

billhd

I should mention that my thinking on this is internal-TG and procedural.  As thebadger said, masks; and clearly a mask with radial features is what you want.  I think you want a moon-like world, not necessarily The Moon, eh? 

dandelO

Hi, Skarlath. Use the forum's search function for a post by me titled 'Eye Test'. You'll find one way to make a radial fractal shader that you could mask to whatever radius you need with a Simple Shape Shader. Make sure to use 'Get Position In Texture' to be able to move the radial origin around with a Transform Shader to the centre of your crater. That, or a similar idea, can be used as your impact debris mask. :)

billhd

dandelO, what is determining the center point when "get position in texture" is invoked?  In your snapshot it looks like a camera at the center but I don't see how that would happen.  When i try this with the default scene the center appears at the center of my render view, but stays there with a camera move.   This is real intriguing, i had not seen the old post. 

Dune

I can answer this for Martin; when you set up this thing it's located at 0/0/0, but add a transform shader and you can move it around.

dandelO

Thanks, Ulco.
Yes, the origin of the 'GPIT' node is XYZ=0,0,0. Camera position has no input or influence over the texture origin. A Get Position origin can't be transformed but a Get Position in Texture can be. A new origin can be set, all axes rotated and/or the entire function rescaled with the Transform Shaders. Also, texture warping can be applied with the Warp Shaders.
If you check in the node reference Wiki, either manually or from the '?' button on the node-settings panel, you'll find a full description on that.

billhd

Thanks Dune and dandlelO, I should have looked, but I see that the wiki page for GPIT is unpopulated. OK though, I get it now.   

Oshyan

Actually, there is documentation for GPIT, it's just not linking correctly from the ? button in TG for some reason: http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Get_Position_in_Texture

I'll look into the linking issue.

- Oshyan