fractal warp shader

Started by digitalguru, August 30, 2013, 12:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalguru

It's great having the fractal warp as a separate shader, and have just been experimenting with it, but found that is doesn't work on a loaded heightfield?

tried a test with the default scene, saving a heightfield by attaching a heightfield generate from the Fratctal terrain node and saving it out and plugging it back into the tree. The fractal warp works great on the Fratcal terrain, but nothing on the imported .ter file.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Graham

RArcher

That may be because the fractal detail settings are built into the heightfield shader itself. Take a look at the "Fractal Detail" tab.

yossam

Isn't the warp shader supposed to go before the compute terrain?

digitalguru

tried putting it before the compute terrain as well which didn't work.

putting it after the compute terrain works on the default fractal terrain though, but not on the heightfield

was quite pleased about the this new shader as I thought it would be very handy for adding that lovely fractal detail somewhere further down the chain, masking it out etc, but I can't get it working on heightfields - there must be a way!

cyphyr

I "think" that the fractal warp shader dose not work on Heightfields because their is already a similar (the same?) shader in the "Heightfield shader"> Farctal Detail tab.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

digitalguru

that's true, but I thought it's inclusion was to allow users to put it anywhere downstream, which does work , just not with heightfields

I wonder what it is about heightfields that prevents it from working? since it has to pipe into a heightfield shader (a displacement shader) shouldn't it then behave like any other proceedrural once it has gone through a compute terrain node? Or is there some combination of node to pass the data down of where that heightfield diplacement is in 3d space?

Matt

The Heightfield Shader is not currently able to be warped by other shaders. It's a limitation we're aware of and hope to address in future.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.