One cloud layer eliminates the other?

Started by helentr, June 17, 2007, 01:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helentr

I tried to do a space scene using 2 cloud layers on the planet. Just to sort out which is which, I made the lower layer bright red, but I couldn't see it either in the preview or in the final render, no matter which values I tried.
Then, I tried lowering the top cloud layer to be below the bottom one. The red layer appeared immediately.
I can't understand how a top cloud layer can cover the bottom one when it has much less coverage, both in the cloud and the pattern tab.
It may be due to something strange in my TGD, so you are welcome to examine it and enlighten me.

Helen

Oshyan

This occurs because of use of the "Coverage Adjust" setting in your cloud layers. I'm not entirely sure of the root cause or if it can be fixed in the future, but fortunately there are workarounds/alternate methods. I tend to use the Coverage Adjust in the fractal noise function itself. This has a similar effect and does not cause the coverage issue.

Nice work on the procedural starfield btw. :)

- Oshyan

helentr

Thank you Oshyan. Adjusting the clouds' coverage adjust to 0 fixed it. This is something I have not heard before, though.
The starfield was easy, once I thought to turn off shadows in the background.

Helen