Graphics driver crashing

Started by yossam, September 11, 2013, 06:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

If this is the wrong place please move it.

Has anyone else had problems with the Nvidia drivers crashing..................it's happened to me 3 or 4 times since TG3 was released. According to the Nvidia website, the drivers are the latest released for my card. But they are 2 months old.............. :o

archonforest

Crashing only with TG3?
Otherwise the latest drivers are not necessary always better. You can try to go back one version earlier. If that driver worked alright and all your programs works okay then go for it.
BTW are u sure it is the driver and not your card is crashing? Overheated VGA cards can freeze the picture on your screen and even shut down the whole computer per my experience.   
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

yossam

Yes it's crashing when running TG3..............the only time it's crashed. And the message says the driver has stopped responding and the program needs to close. This is the same driver I was using with TG2 and never had the problem.

archonforest

U just installed TG3 and it is just not working or it is a sudden problem and TG3 worked okay before?
Does your PC says that the VGA driver stopped to work? Does your PC usable after this or need to restart?
If TG3 is a new install then there is a compatibility problem between TG3 and the driver. You can try other drivers like an earlier one. Also you should ask the Planetside guys to look into this just in case.
What card do you have?

Bjur

Quote from: archonforest on September 11, 2013, 07:54:56 PM
Does your PC says that the VGA driver stopped to work?

That's the main question.

Using myself latest TG 3 Free right now and latest nVidia version for my GTX 580 (v.320.49).
Me too still have to face sometimes crashes or probs which occur here and there - but not very often.

TG, as I know, is a complex but mainly CPU stressing software, so i don't think it could be a GFX driver problem "in the 1st place".

I had never any graphics driver problems till yet, old or new ones with TG 2 or 3.

You should explain/describe you problem or case much detailed as possible to the support - if something obvious goes wrong, even you can't reproduce horrible crashes.

Planetside asked short time ago again for reporting any problems which occurs in any version (Free/Pro etc.).

You can call TG 3 still as "Very New!" version/software. Don't think everything will run "perfect" soon in every detail right at at this stage after a new release.  :)

~ The annoying popularity of Vue brought me here.. ~

yossam

The message that comes up is from the Nvidia application. It says just what I said in the previous post. The driver is unresponsive and the program needs to be closed. Nothing special going on, the scene is just rendering. As far as I know, there is no other program causing the problem. And I cannot reproduce it. It happens when it happens......................... :-\

The driver version is the same as you are using v320.49.

Oshyan

We have an update coming in the near-ish future that should address at least 1 remaining source of crashes. It may have an effect on this problem, though I don't think it necessarily changes anything that would be causing the graphics driver itself to crash.

- Oshyan

choronr

Just last evening I had a number of unusual things happen while working on an image using TG3; most notably the populator you see while it indicates instances, upon completion, it does not just blink off - but rather fades off in increments. Also, I'll see something that looks like a colored bar code flash on; then go off quickly. Then, after closing TG3, I went into the Internet and it froze. Other weird things like my screen would produce a dialog box when I clicked on anything (normally what I would see if I right clicked on it). And a few other things as well. All of this gets me thinking it could be my Nvidia card being affected by high heat.

Today, everything seems OK. I'm beginning to think the issue is overheating. I installed the 'Core Temp' software which displays numbers. Example: The higher numbers means you are running cool. As the numbers get lower, you are approaching higher heat. When idling, my cool number is in the low 80s; while rendering, the higher heat numbers are down to 52.

I have placed a small portable fan behind my tower to help disperse the exhaust from it.     

yossam

I just checked mine...........

Idle: Low 80's

Rendering: Around 70  :)

choronr

Rendering at seventy sounds pretty good. In my computer room, I notice that when ever the A/C kicks on, the numbers go higher. Wish someone would invent a miniature air conditioner for computers. For me, those water cooled varieties are out of the question.

archonforest

Actually there is something like that. It is called Slot cooler. It is an extra fan you can install into an empty slot in your PC. Preferably above/beyond the VGA card. That can help a lot to handle the heat. Also it is possible on some cards that u can replace the fan with a bigger one...etc

If you have heat issues make sure your vga card and the fan is clean and works. (I saw enough dead fans...) I would chk also the installation of the computer generally as you might have a bunch of cables in the airflow.

Here is an example of the slot fan :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888602

choronr

I have one similar to that which came with my Lian Li case. It is a centrifugal type fan. Had to replace it once a few years ago. Available at Mouser Electronics.

jaf

Quote from: yossam on September 15, 2013, 01:54:57 AM
I just checked mine...........

Idle: Low 80's

Rendering: Around 70  :)

I assume Celsius?   It seems to me a little odd the render temp is that much lower than idle temp, though I guess the graphics card cooling turns on to lower the temp, but I don't recall one that would lower the temp below the idle temp.

Anyway, we should probably include our specs on these types of crashes.  I haven't seen a crash (TG3) yet since installing version 3.  I've was  running the 320.49 but have been using the beta 326.80 the past week with no problems.  I've tried a scene that uses 13.4 GB -- lots of populations too.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

yossam

The lower the number the warmer the temperature...............it's the way the app is set up.

Oshyan

If you're experiencing problems outside of TG, that definitely indicates some kind of broader hardware or driver issue.

Quote from: yossam on September 15, 2013, 02:55:42 PM
The lower the number the warmer the temperature...............it's the way the app is set up.

Are you sure about that? That first off makes no rational sense, but more than that, if you look at this app screenshot: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ It shows temperatures measured in c (centigrade). So higher would definitely be hotter. I actually have Core Temp and have used it for quite some time on one of my machines and higher = hotter, at least in the version I have; temperatures increase, as they should, when I'm actively rendering. Perhaps you're looking at some other "composite" number that isn't temperature?

- Oshyan