Do you use the Windows colour picker?

Started by jo, September 15, 2013, 08:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use the Windows colour picker rather than the TG colour picker?

Yes
9 (64.3%)
No
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

jo

Hi,

I'm interested to know if you use the Windows colour picker. That's the colour picker which is opened from the button at the top right of the TG colour picker (palette icon).

If you do use it, why? What do you feel its advantages are over the TG colour picker?

Regards,

Jo

TheBadger

Yes!!!
When doing color I use it almost every time. I find it much, much quicker, to simply sample my colors from outside sources rather than try to move around in a color wheel.
But frankly, I never understood why there were so many windows for the color options. Why not have them all in one longer window... Actually, I rarely use the others, just the first color window (the one that opens when you click on a color in a node) and the color window your asking about now.

It would be nice if the color sampler were in the first window at least, though. As it is now you have to close out two windows after preforming a single action... It gets annoying when working all day.

It has been eaten.

RArcher

No, never.  The Internal TG colour picker options are far superior.  The mixer and shifter panels in particular are fantastic along with the variations and randomizers.

Oshyan

Badger, you're on a Mac, aren't you? I believe this is specifically about the *Windows* color picker (on the Mac that button accesses the Mac color picker; basically it's there to access the standard OS color picker on each platform).

- Oshyan

choronr

Yes. I've gotten used to the Windows color picker. Haven't given the option a trial.

Dune

Actually I never clicked those top buttons and used the first that pops up. Was good enough. But now I did and here's what I think. The middle three are no use (to me), but the windows color picker is a very good addition. Especially if it would be possible to have a real picker with it, so you can take colors from a photo. And if it could be set as default by choice.
What I do think is a bug, is that if you pick a color from the windows picker, hit OK, TG vanishes to the background if you have other software open (like now, it's dropped behind this screen)

Oshyan

What do you like about the Windows one though? It's the standard Windows picker and we can't add anything to it, so if your idea is "this could be cool but isn't what I want as it is", then it's better that we try to incorporate whatever people like about it into the main picker since as I said we can't change the Windows one.

- Oshyan

Dune

Good that you mention this, Oshyan. I never took a real good look at the color choices, but I just did again, and I must say that the second one could be my favorite from now on. So thanks for mentioning it!
What I liked about the windows picker is the field of colors, where you can just point what you need and maybe shift a little after that. The second one I dismissed as the first time I opened it it was in a dull color I previously picked, and I didn't notice ( ::) ) the light-dark slider. I couldn't distinguish the colors very much, so I just didn't understand that field. But now that I found this slider and the field it's great! Really, I mean that. So if a real picker could be added to that, I would be very happy.

reck

When picking a colour I always want something where I can click a colour and then tweak it slightly with sliders afterwards. If I was just given sliders and no colour box\wheel it would take me a lot longer to get the colour if I have to manually find the right values.

So with that in mind I like to use number 2, with the colour wheel, or the windows one. I probably use number 2 more as I like the variations option.

While we are talking about the colour window, can I put in a request please? Could you add an option where we are able to pick colours from external windows, like a web browser for instance. At the moment I have to manually save the image and load it into a paint package, record the rgb value and then input this into terragen. It would be a lot easier if I could use a terragen colour picker.

cyphyr

I actually use all of them.
The windows one if I want a colour quickly (although having to close out two windows is annoying).
The colour wheel for a more subtle approach (although sometimes it's not subtle enough, could we have  zoom into a section of the colour wheel for finer control)
and the various sliders for fine tweaking.
:)
Richard
Oh and the ability to grab a colour off screen would be supper cool (maybe press alt to grab a colour with out lighting and atmospherics)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

jo

Hi Ulco,

Quote from: Dune on September 16, 2013, 03:16:58 AM
So if a real picker could be added to that, I would be very happy.

What do you mean by a "real picker"?

Regards,

Jo

mr-miley

I always use the Colour Wheel TG picker. Never really looked at the others until reading this thresd. I may start having a go with them too. I'd like to add myself to the quest for a colour "picker" to be able to click on a photo in a web page or bitmap editor and select a colour from that and have TG use it. Very useful in some situations, especially for getting the right brown. I always find these are the hardest colours to "make".
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Hetzen

I agree with others about being able to pick colours from an image. Having a Unicode value input would be usefull, so that I can copy colours from an app that can pick colours off an image, rather than referencing single RGB values.

I've never used the windows colour picker. Tbh, I've never worked out how to use the various slots at the bottom of the pallete.

Dune

With 'real picker' I mean the ability to pick colors from external images, I would actually call the current 'picker' a 'color chooser'.

TheBadger

Back of the Bus, Badger!  ;)

lol Ok, But I still love the color sampler ;D
It has been eaten.