Rendering on Laptop

Started by archonforest, September 19, 2013, 02:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

I am planning to put my TG on my laptop so I can be mobile but not sure if this is a good idea since TG really squeeze everything out of any CPU and I am concerned about the cooling of the pc. Any experience on this?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

What are the specs of your laptop? How old is it? Most laptops have overheating protection that will shut down the system before it gets damaged. So it is probably fine to try it and see if there are any problems. It would of course be best to be plugged-in when using the laptop for Terragen.

Another option to consider is keeping your home computer online and powered-up at all times, install something like Google Drive or Dropbox on it as well as on your laptop, then when you go out with your laptop you can setup and design a scene, but send it back to your home system for rendering. You can use remote desktop software like TeamViewer to initiate a render on your desktop from the laptop.

- Oshyan

archonforest

It is a new laptop I bought recently for other purposes but it is 64 bit and got a Duo 2.4Ghz CPU. It is not a rendering computer but mobile. I do not want to render on battery. My main concern it that TG is pushing the cpu to its limits and that creates some heat and a laptop might not have that good cooling system than a desktop.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd