Speedtree into T3

Started by zaxxon, November 23, 2013, 01:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Trees constructed in Speedtree Architect, Manzanita ground cover from Speedtree store. Personal assets for bark and pine needles. Terrain from World Machine. These are my first attempts with ST, so any awkwardness in the trees should not reflect negatively on the program. Comments welcome.

mhaze

Nice image, excellent trees.

TheBadger

great going so far! Nice tree type to model. I am curious id you can do debris with ST, like piles of fallen needles, and dead sticks and stuff? THe kind of thing just about every TG render is missing.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Very promising indeed. Are you still working on these? Hope to see them in a higher resolution render at some point.

- Oshyan

zaxxon

Thanks for the kind comments. It seems whenever you start to create natural scenes or elements it certainly triggers a new level of observation of the actual world, the almost obsessive thought pattern of, "now how can I do THAT in my software package". I am definitely viewing trees with a keener eye these days!   Also, you really have to appreciate the work of folks like Walli, Robert Czarny, Martin Frost, et al who have modeled actual tree species with such excellence over the years. But now with the advent of tools like Speedtree and The Plant Factory, complex arboreal scenes are  within reach, even for non-pro's such as myself .

TheBadger: I love debris!  Had the same thought but put it off. Don't know about using ST for that, but T3 and the Distribution Shader seems to work. I cobbled together a quick dead pine needle object and it scattered okay in a test, but I need to play around a bit more before posting anything.

Oshayn: Yup, still working on them. Trying to get a better pine cluster asset (5 needle structure). Creating bark, branch, leaf, needle cluster, frond, assets is a separate endeavor, but there are some nice tools out there to help. Some higher res images are awaiting some more-refined tree sets.

Here's another image with the sample LOW RES conifers that come with the software. The ground cover is Dune's marvelous Heather.  The Speedtree crew calls these objects "RT" (real-time). They populate readily into T3 and render fairly quickly. Speedtree objects are procedural and endless variations can be had by pushing the "randomize" button.  The possibility to create an endless supply of ugly trees is now at your finger-tips! ;D
Once again, comments welcome.

Dune

Thanks for the credit on the heather. They really come out good in your render.

One thing that I noticed in your tree is the bark; I think you need to up the U and V tiling.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

TheBadger

The fallen tree looks about perfect to me.
It has been eaten.

zaxxon

Here is another image and the latest iteration of my 'kinda-sorta' Whitebark Pine (Pinus Albicaulis). The Speedtree tools 'feel' solid and mostly intuitive, even though I've gotten myself bollixed up with tweaking too many settings at once  ;D.  However, and this turns out to be a fairly significant 'however': IDV, the makers of Speedtree have the same kind of EULA restraints that e-on's The Plant Factory has. Any models (defined as "Meshes" - even using your own leaf/pine/frond/bark assets) created with Speedtree cannot be redistributed in any fashion (even free). When queried on the Speedtree forum the Marketing Manager confirmed the restrictions in 'plain language', but did say that the Company was considering changing that policy. One would hope that they do. While Speedtree and TPF are not strictly speaking DCC applications, it still seems a little 'tight' to claim any user created object as still being controlled by the software publisher: think of all the Max/Maya/ models being 'restricted' by Autodesk? It's true that both IDV and e-on have retail plant stores and affiliated model makers to consider: still, can some hobbyists creating and distributing trees and resources be that much of a threat? The freedom to custom create and  'fit' hero trees and specialized tree populations into T3 is an obvious desire, hopefully either one or both of those Companies change their stance. How legally enforceable is this? Who knows? In the meantime ST is a very mature and well thought out piece of software.

ratfugel

Hey Zaxxon ,  Great images.  Have got Speedtree, but so far when I import what appears to be a completed tree into T3 it just renders as a white blob, no textures.  Frustrating. Any idea what I am missing? The wire frame shows up nicely, and so does a shaded textured tree in the preview, but I lose it in the render.

rat.

zaxxon

Holiday greetings ratfugel!  Seems ST has a plethora of export options, which is a good thing. There are a couple of very precise scripts to go to Max and Maya for VRay and MR, be nice to see how to optimize the output to T3. The way I'm bringing trees into T3 is to export as an .obj, the attachment below shows the ST settings that seem to work pretty well. Hopefully those settings will do it for you. Make sure that the same 'color' image in the T3 material slot (should be there upon load) for the leaves/pine needles is also copied into the 'opacity' slot with the 'use alpha channel' box selected.
If you're using the sample trees they default to .tga as output, so the exporter should be set to .png or whatever you like that T3 likes. Let me know how it goes.

TheBadger

The tree looks real great! close up please!
It has been eaten.

Dune

That's right; the white blobs are most probably the alpha channel messing up. Same with XFrog trees. In Zaxxon's file you can see a few where the branch tips' (caps) opacity tab isn't set (yet). White blobs happen whenever there is an alpha channel in the textures. For bark you don't need it generally, for leaves you do,

ratfugel

Thanks a lot Zaxxon, just come in and got your reply. thanks again for promptitude ( nice new word).  Will do as you say and let you see the result if any.  I was beginning to think I should try it in a snowfield.

Happy, Healthy and possibly Prosperous New Year to everyone.

rat.

zaxxon

You are very welcome ratfugel, hope that does it.  I had the same issue initially, Dune is correct about some of my models "caps" being without the alpha channel, still working on getting some good image assets for chopped and broken branches. ST models need some of the same 'tweakings' that xfrog objects need (at least in my limited experience); so boost the 'translucency' levels as well for the leave/pine needle settings, I'm using between 1.0 and 3.0. While I can't share the tree models I'm certainly up for posting my beginneriest (there's a new word back at ya ratsfugel ;)) image assets if there's any interest. Also, as Dune pointed out earlier in this thread, take note of the UV tile settings in ST to make sure the repeat isn't too obvious in T3. ST really does have a lot of controls to sort thru at first, and I'm just scratching the surface, not to mention trying to make the models have a botanical flow and balance within a given environment.