no alpha in sequence

Started by hdace, November 24, 2013, 04:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdace

Hi, I'm rendering a sky animation and need both regular and alpha sequences.  I've ticked the "Extra output images" box and created a separate folder.  But the image sequence is identical to the regular sequence.  There's color for a start.  If I render a single test frame and press A, I can see what the alpha channel is supposed to look like.  I've tried turning off "Enable primary" in Atmosphere, but the color values are different than the alpha and besides, then I'd have to render the sequence twice.  It's nice to only render it once and output two files at the same time, if it actually worked.  The files in the Extra output images folder are even named "temp.tgAlpha.xxxx.tif" but they're definitely not the alpha channel.  Am I doing something wrong?

hdace

After looking at it a little more carefully I realized that the so called alpha sequence is different to the main sequence in that the cloud area is plain white.  So this a kind of alpha channel, but it's not useable.  I've taken it into After Effects and normally one would use a normal black and white image above the main image and select "track matte".  But because the area that's supposed to be matted out is not black, it doesn't work properly.

I got a little confused in the first post because I did a test render with Enable primary turned off, then hit A to see the alpha, and saw a proper black and white image and thought that this represented a different behavior.  Now I realize that with Enable primary turned on the single frame alpha is the same as the sequence alpha.  But it's still unusable in After Effects, as far as I can see.

Okay, so this is not terrible.  I'll just run the animation twice, once with and once without the primary atmosphere.  So I guess I'm asking for a new feature.  Turn off the primary atmosphere option for the alpha output.  I realize this may not be easy for you to set up, but I thought I'd ask anyway!

hdace

All right, played with it a bit more and found that this kind of alpha file is useable if you play around with it.  I remembered that I wasn't supposed to be using track matte in AE anyway, should have been using Luma Matte.  Silly me.  Then I applied two effects to the "alpha" layer.  Effects/Color Correction/Black & White is useful for removing all blue values.  This goes down to -200 for some reason, making any pure blue pixel become black.  That pokes a hole in the sky so objects in lower layers can be seen.  Then Effects/Color Correction/Levels and lower the Input White down to around 210 (from 255) and that seems to make the clouds more opaque so objects can go behind them and not be seen.  It looks pretty good.

Sorry to explain stuff about AE on this forum but I thought someone else might find this useful someday.  Cheers!

Oshyan

Thanks for the info, it certainly may be useful for other AE users in the future. You might also want to check out the documentation for Render Layers and Elements, if you haven't already: http://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Render_Layers_and_Render_Elements
You may find some info relevant to the alphas there. I believe you may be dealing with a chroma component in your alpha, as described by Matt here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15916.msg155110.html#msg155110

- Oshyan

hdace

Oh, yes, I'll have to give this a try.  Wish I'd seen it earlier.  Layers/elements certainly looks like the right way to do it.