Terragen 3 Loading behaviour

Started by PeterParker, December 07, 2013, 10:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Not now but I did at first. I'm going to put aside some time for a fresh OS install and after that I'll be better able to say.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Yossam, does this *always* happen, no matter how complex the scene, no matter how big the object, etc?

- Oshyan

yossam

Always............to me it acts like it is accessing the database for the library. I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the 1st time.  ;)

Oshyan

I'm not certain this is the case, but the Library should not be loaded unless you actually open it. I don't see any mention of it in the application start log when you run the CLI version.

What are your system specs?

- Oshyan

yossam

3770k slightly O.C., 16 G ram, Win7 64 bit.

Oshyan

What you're experience is... truly bizarre. You don't see lags in any other applications, do you? Do you have any other apps that deal with large files, or large numbers of files on load or anything? Heck, TG isn't even that demanding in that area...

Have you checked your system log for anything unusual?

- Oshyan

yossam

About the only other app that I use large files with is Poser. And it has not caused any abnormal behavior. Will check the system log.............let you know shortly.

yossam

From yesterday.................I forgot to wait on the save.

Faulting application name: tgd.exe, version: 3.0.10.0, time stamp: 0x524e7f5a
Faulting module name: nvoglv64.DLL, version: 9.18.13.3182, time stamp: 0x5280d8fe
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000e88569
Faulting process id: 0x7d48
Faulting application start time: 0x01cef886127483f7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Planetside Software\Terragen 3\tgd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvoglv64.DLL
Report Id: f67f72cc-647f-11e3-a27a-0014d1257ace

yossam

This is from 12/2/13..............don't remember the circumstances.

Faulting application name: tgd.exe, version: 3.0.10.0, time stamp: 0x524e7f5a
Faulting module name: tglib.dll, version: 3.0.10.0, time stamp: 0x524e7e90
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000001d6291
Faulting process id: 0x143e8
Faulting application start time: 0x01ceef2739ada6b0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Planetside Software\Terragen 3\tgd.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Planetside Software\Terragen 3\tglib.dll
Report Id: a11d8310-5b2b-11e3-b52d-0014d1257ace

Oshyan

Well, one of those is related to the Nvidia graphics driver. It would be surprising if that had an effect on overall load time... When Terragen is loading on first launch, how does it proceed; do you see parts of the UI after a short time, but it is not responsive fo 30-45 seconds; do you only see the splash screen for quite a while, and then the UI comes up quickly? etc.

- Oshyan

yossam

The splash screen stays up for 2-3 seconds then the full UI comes up. Confusing you more?

Oshyan

No, just more info to consider. The then comes up relatively quickly but is not responsive for ~30 seconds?

- Oshyan

yossam

No..............it is responsive until you do one of the 3 things I listed in the previous post.

Oshyan

Ah, ok. So a couple things.

First, when you say "2. When loading a population or object for the first time (30-45 seconds). All loads after the first one are very quick.", do you mean that "all loads after the first" *of the same object/population* are fast? Or do you mean instead that the first time you load *any* object or create *any* population it is slow, but *then* when you create any other population or load any other object (not necessarily the same as the first object loaded), then it is faster? If it's the latter, that's quite interesting...

One thing you might try is loading tgdcli.exe and then look at what the log output shows when you perform one of those 3 actions.

- Oshyan

yossam

It is the latter. Any object or population that is loaded first takes 30-45 seconds. "Any" object or population loaded after that loads within a second or two depending on how big the file is. I will try what you suggested and let you know.  :)