1972 The year of the Galactic War NOW IN AMAZING COLOR!

Started by TheBadger, December 20, 2013, 11:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

bla bla 2

Kadri

Michael i like the sky and ground very much!

Just the debris could be a little different.
They look more like vertices made in a 3d software now.
More variety and a little dust should do it probably.

Just for an example:
http://www.empireonline.com/images/uploaded/oblivion-half-exploded-moon.jpg
http://www.doblu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/oblivion157.jpg

From Oblivion.

TheBadger

Thanks Bastian

I agree Kadri. I always intended to do similar. Its a WIP.

Im going to re-do the moon altogether now though. I found a way to quickly get exactly what I wanted when I started. I think it will be much better. Even much more real looking then Oblivion, I think right now.

I really liked that movie by the way. It was much better than it got credit for. Much better than the Will Smith movie that came out at the same time IMO.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on December 20, 2013, 03:11:35 PM
I really liked that movie by the way. It was much better than it got credit for. Much better than the Will Smith movie that came out at the same time IMO.

It does have its problems but i certainly wasn't sorry to have seen it Michael :)

Dune

A Badger render! Great. I'm looking forward to your next WIP's, Michael. This is already a sophisticated layout. I do agree about the debris.

Nacer Eddine

i think if you mixed that with another software its will be great
look this video its my best in 2013
next time (2014)  i will add the terragen scènes

mhaze

TheBadger

Thanks guys.

I think you will approve more of the next iteration.
I just posted this because I will be redoing everything. But I did not want to just throw it away without showing it first. Seemed wrong to not show the moon in context given the interest and help I received in the "broken falling moon" thread.

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Here is a cropped reduced size from the original render. Tonemapped, but no further editing. The OP image has more post work.

The render was 4000pix wide by 2000+. It rendered in something like 30min or so, maybe less. I don't recall now, but it was fast.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

^^Man, Ill never get over how bad .jpg is, especially when compared to looking at an image in PS. We really need to get rid of .jpg, its just so terrible.
It has been eaten.

Dune

I think that if the moon explodes (the chinese have just landed and are working on it), the edges of the broken areas will be much sharper. The displacements are a bit too rounded as far as I can see.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Matt

Quote from: TheBadger on December 21, 2013, 10:42:07 AM
^^Man, Ill never get over how bad .jpg is, especially when compared to looking at an image in PS. We really need to get rid of .jpg, its just so terrible.

The quality level is very controllable in most JPG software, including Photoshop. Your file is only 148 Kb, and the quality looks reasonable for a file of that size. Try playing around with the quality settings and you should get something much better. One of the good things about JPG is that you can choose what sort of trade-off you want between file size and quality.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

TheBadger

Thanks Matt, Ill look more carefully at the settings in PS.
I had thought the only trade I was making was to make the image smaller, but that it should keep its quality if not enlarged for viewing. But I should look more closely before shooting off.

Hey guys, Im trying to get clouds out in space. Something like DandelO did for planet rings a while back. Im not trying to make rings with the clouds, Im just trying to get them in space right now...

Should all I have to do, is increase the radius until the clouds get out there? Or is there more to it. I mean I know there is more to it for what I want to do, but just in terms of initially getting the clouds to move beyond the radius of the planet.

Thanks for any help.
It has been eaten.