Blue Sky/Orange Clouds

Started by sashley, June 29, 2007, 12:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sashley

I'm trying to create an image where the sky background and horizon are blue and the clouds are distinctly orange, like in the image clip I attached. It seems that the atomosphere is really influencing the cloud colors. Any suggestions?

rcallicotte

I'm noticed the same thing.  I'm not sure what you would turn off to keep the clouds separate.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

It's mostly going to be in tweaking the atmosphere. Set your sun to about 2 degrees above the horizon, up the red decay some, tweak the Atmospheric Blue color to be lighter and more saturated, and then probably increase camera exposure (that image looks over-exposed). I've reached a reasonable approximation this way. I have attached a .tgd as example.

[attachthumb=1]

- Oshyan

DeathTwister

Haha Nice work Oshyan with the test.

I have had same trouble and solved it like Oshyan suggests, but I would also like to make the clouds one color without the control I have to have with setting the sun and so on also. If you go in and make the clouds one color in the Atmosphere Tab, that should be all to make that happen, but..... So I personally would like to see a color table on the clouds that would effect the clouds and not the surrounding inviroment at the same time.  I do see why they did set it up this way, but no room for the insane acid Psycodellic skies with it yet. So maybe they have that on the ta-do-list maybe?

DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Oshyan

Just set the cloud color in the cloud node itself. This will *only* affect the clouds.

- Oshyan

l.a. akira

Osyan, how can you get the dark areas on low density clouds like in the photograph. Your emulation seems to be primarily pink where as the photo has a distinct color change.

bigben

Quote from: l.a. akira on July 01, 2007, 05:11:50 AM
Osyan, how can you get the dark areas on low density clouds like in the photograph. Your emulation seems to be primarily pink where as the photo has a distinct color change.

Just think about why they are grey in the photograph...  not being lit by the sun. i.e. lighting and density tweaks to the cloud so that these areas are shaded from the sun. Sounds simple, but it's possibly going to be a bit trickier depending on how accurate you want to be and how "accurate" the cloud/lighting models in TG are.

l.a. akira

right, thats why im asking if tg2 can do this with its lighting models. Seems to me creating this type of effect in tg2 is quite difficult without masks.
I've been able to get shadow areas specific colors with higher density clouds by modifying the fake dark power and ambient but I cant seem to get good results with the lower density clouds like these images.

Oshyan

It's definitely possible, it's just that you need very specific circumstances. The cloud and shadow modeling is reasonably realistic in TG2 so if you set things up right it ought to work, but again it will be tricky to find the exact right settings, cloud shapes, etc.

- Oshyan

l.a. akira

It seems like whenever im trying to create a sunset cloud scene, im not getting the right shadow colors on the dark side. Even with a high density cloud im getting simply a darker shade of the same color rather than an accurate shadow color.

I'd really like to see if its possible to get something like this with tg2
http://www-bsac.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cookbw/ecuador%20pics/clouds%20from%20the%20plane%20on%20the%20way%20home2.JPG

Oshyan

That image looks precisely like an example of "simply a darker shade of the same color" in the shadow areas. I agree however that there are times when that's not the case - when really the darker parts of a cloud are being completely illuminated by indirect light. I think the system should handle this correctly, but I don't know how easy it would be to properly test this. As I said the circumstances this happens in are somewhat specific. This may also be impacted by GI accuracy, internal scattering settings, and other things. There are a lot of factors. I do think it's possible to get the result you intend but I'm afraid I don't know specifically how to achieve it at this point.

- Oshyan

sashley

excellent! thank you, this has been very helpful!!!!!