Possible transparent water solution found

Started by zionner, July 02, 2007, 10:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_blaggard

Maybe if you could post a .tgd file of the image directly above it would be better - that way we can fiddle with settings and use the picture here as the control for our experiments.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

zionner

ok..well..Heres the TGD file for that last render..

DeathTwister

Hay all,

Wow Zionner you did a very good job with that file and tweaking on that water, yes you did /smiles.....Looks really good.  I as well grabbed the file to see if I could get something out of it and share something.  After I downloaded it I looked at it, but it really didn't seem transparent to me so I started messing with it more.
  I really do not like the way you have no way to add things to the Lake block as it actually has very few parameters to play with, unlike tg v09 does with water.
  One of the things I have not done much of is mess with just the nodes so I started playing with those trying to get things I wanted in the water block to try and effect it more by using the nodes since I could not in the water area persay, so I started doing all kinds of stuff.
  Well I came up with a file that does have transparency, but not as much as I had wanted and yes, somehow I lost the light color from your original file, but I did come up with something interesting and will post the tgd2 file you you all want to tear it apart and maybe get farther then I did? It needs tweaking still as I also used a land mass as waves as I kind of got carried away with the water in general, but tell me what you think? At least it does have some transparency to it at the water line of the rocks, and yes I tweaked the terrain file a bit as well /smiles....

Will post the tgd2 file and the one water graphic texture I used if you guys want.

DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

DeathTwister

OOh should have just given the files /smiles as well.

Water texture is at:
http://www.theatomizer.com/Downloads/Gwater15.png
and the tgd file is at: http://www.theatomizer.com/Downloads/TheRock.tgd

hope that helps, if you get it better then please post it back /smiles..... hahahaha.
I would love to see really nice transparent water more then what I got here at any rate and I was sad I lost that lighter water color, not sure where I got turned around there, but maybe you guys can get it a bit farther?

Edit: how do you guys attach your tgd files? I couldn't figure that out, and am feeling a bit dumb here.

DT
ATOMIX Productions

zionner

Wow..That Looks Great..Im Just Looking Through that file to see what you added, and what i Can do to it.

Also, thanks for the comments :D

Nice Work!

zionner

OK..Quick Update...I'm Starting To get Exceited by this update I've Added To DeathTwisters File...This stuff Really Starting to get along..Right now Im rendering a Small, But Full Detail Version for you Lot so you can see what Im coming out with.

P.S this is accually the first time i've had to sit down and think on how improvements can be made, Well Done.

DeathTwister

Hay guys, Zionner,

QuoteOK..Quick Update...I'm Starting To get Exceited by this update I've Added To DeathTwisters File...This stuff Really Starting to get along..Right now Im rendering a Small, But Full Detail Version for you Lot so you can see what Im coming out with.

P.S this is accually the first time i've had to sit down and think on how improvements can be made, Well Done.

I am glad I can help in any small way, as I as well am very excited about figuring this all out.  Can't wait to see what you come up with from my posting.  Please post back as I have more ideas but will wait until you post yours to see where you went.  I know I learned something new about nodes doing this also so I am sure I made a mess there, but I was hoping there was something good in there you all could use.  COOL COOL ;D

DT
ATOMIX Productions

zionner

Mines wont be done for a while as Its a Full Detail One..So Idea away!

DeathTwister

Ya I hear ya,

That last render took about 12 hours to render with my p4 3.2 mgz duel core CPU, and 2 gigs ram, so I understand  ;) I am off on a bike ride till later today, and then have to study node placements on characters in the TGE/TGEA engines so I can get all the multiple meshes in and get the naming conventions for my programmer worked out so I do not give him a mess to deal with on body parts.  He is so neat and tidy you see, unlike me /chuckles......Set up for the select a char screens and so on, kinda a work day.  So will not get back to this until Tomorrow at least, but I sure am looking forward to getting back on this and seeing what you came up with  8), this is fun time for me, lololol.  KK Out the door, gotta ride...

DT
ATOMIX Productions

rcallicotte

Not to sink any brainstorming, but I've posted this in the File section - http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1775.0 and think it could be somehow combined with what you're both doing.  Having zionner's coloring of the water and adding what DeathTwister is doing could result in quite an interesting package.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mavcat

DeathTwister, IMO you haven't made transparent water but reflective water,sorry. But i like where this is going to,having transparent water would rule :D

zionner

OK here it is, It dosent look anything transparent, which im working on still..but heck...its great water!

P.S this took 21 hours 56 minutes 15 seconds to render

P.S.S I'm Now rendering A Version with my Colour Ajustments (you forgot to connect a few Nodes together :p )

DeathTwister

Hay guys,

Ya, I think it is a little transparent, but the lighting being better wouldn't help and that is the clouds.  I see Zionner found the waves /giggles, ya ya fun fun huh? great work.  I have an idea after thinking about the nodes more I am going to try that may give us some transparency, but not sure, I do think I have it a very little bit and not reflection as I know what the terrain looks like below, and it is different, but you also may be right, but at least we have a bit better ocean water going to add to it at the least, and working on color and trans, later today I hope after I log off for the day.  Great effect we getting at least, but I do think there is a way to use the nodes to attack transparency to the water and maybe a color shader as well.  Have not seen any toots on that though so I am shooting blanks in the dark, but I had a dream last night about it, so I will try something I have in mind later then /smiles that  dreamt.  Errr, Arrgg and all that /winks.
ATOMIX Productions

zionner

Now this is an Interesting render, It looks more like a cartoon up front, but at the back looks realistic, like theres deep and shallow waters:

old_blaggard

I agree, the background does look pretty good.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.