Towards the Summit

Started by zaxxon, February 04, 2014, 10:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Terrain a combination of World Machine and Terragen. Custom trees via Speedtree and Manzanita variants via Speedtree as well. My take on California's higher elevations.

TheBadger

Things look real nice here. My only crit really, it that there should be more fine color information in the rocks. The plants look very nice I think. Shape of the terrain is good too
It has been eaten.

aymenk2003

As theBadger Said...more fine color information in the rocks would be better...
there are nice rock shaders in the library
N.KAID
Le peu que je sais, c'est à mon ignorance que je le dois.

choronr

Very good. Your plant distribution and light is excellent.

zaxxon

This scene is deliberately reminiscent of the section of Northeastern Yosemite around Mt. Ritter and Mt. Banner, 14,000 feet plus elevations. The granitic rock that makes up much of California's Sierra Nevada is actually called "plutonic" rock and is the result of magma that has solidified beneath the surface and where it is exposed thru weathering or tectonic upthrust tends to a light gray color with minimal color variations. While volcanic activity adds additional material to the coloration, succeeding glaciation can eliminate much of the varying shades of color. That said, I agree that more variation should be present, here's where my skills with World Machine need to be honed; to be able to create realistic variations within the granite structure and show them via 'flow-maps' imported into TG. 

The White Bark Pines grow to an elevation of 12.000 feet and where exposed  are sculpted into starkly beautiful forms. As always I appreciate any and all comments, thank you.

TheBadger

Maybe the color is not in the stone but on it? I cant tell from the images I see on-line, but maybe the color also comes from exposure like you talked about?. But here is an example of what I meant to convey:
[attach=1]

ITs real hard to get those rectangular shapes too, for some reason. There is a post from Mogn in TG discussion. He posted a clip file built entirely of blue bodes that maybe of use to you here, Zaxxon?
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17450.75.html pg.6 at least the following discussion in that thread may help you do more.

Anyway, like I said, I like your images. Just talking out load is all.
It has been eaten.

zaxxon

Hey TheBadger (what does that mean anyway?), I'm with you, thanks for the interest. Yeah, your Yosemite shot shows the colorings well. Everything digital is only an approximation of the real for sure. I probably can create some 'streakings' easily enough of an appropriate color, and may do so for the sake of the conversation  :), still I'm 'psyching' myself into some WM work and would like to test the water so to speak. Here's a shot of Mt. Ritter , imagine yourself well up the approach looking at those massive granite flanks! Wonderful stuff. Definately my favorite subject matter. I have been to the top BTW (mild bragging here...).

otakar

Match the rock (quality) with your excellent plants and you have a killer scene.

TheBadger

ooooh, nice shot! Where is that mount? I guess I could just google.

I have never climbed a proper mountain before. I used to hike and climb every week, just never on an object so large that it has its own weather.
Driven to the top of one once though ;D

What does "theBadger" mean, you mean? IT means that when I singed up to be a member here someone already took "Badger". And frankly, I think Oshyan should give me that name since whoever took it never comes here. And also, I want it! And also I would like to drop "the" since its a little weird ;D But the more interesting question is what is a "zaxxon"? :)

There should be a thread where everyone has to explain what the heck our screen names mean, because there are a lot of handles here that invoke curiosity, thats for sure.
What is a otakar, a choronr, a aymenk? Could be some fun stories behind all of this.
It has been eaten.

choronr

Michael, choronr: a combination of my last and first names - Choronzuk and Robert. Choronzuk is a Ukranian/Russian name and phonetically pronounced 'Hor-on-chuk' (don't forget to roll the R in Hor). In Russian, it means Lieutenant. When my grandparents arrived at Ellis Island, they somehow came up with English spelling.

pclavett

Excellent composition and love the view point ! The foreground is perfect ! Great Work !
Paul

zaxxon

Thanks to a few friendly nudges, here's an image that has a bit more color detail, as well as some slight displacement changes. Rendered at .8 detail, 10 AA, Catmul-Rom renderer.

kaedorg

Excellent. I love the colours

choronr

Your vegetative coverage on those slopes is the best I have seen.

mhaze