Image map placement...accurately?

Started by yesmine, February 27, 2014, 01:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesmine

I've read a number of past forum questions hitting on this subject, so if there's a definitive one I missed please point me to it. That said, I'm trying to make sure my image map is accurately placed on the matching terrain. For what it's worth, both the image and the terrain DEM are exact matches in x,y dimensions, though I did read Matt's message explaining that the image map still needs to be sized correctly in Terragen.)

The 3D preview doesn't render at a high resolution and, in 'Top view", the edges of the DEM terrain fall away, making hard to see a sharp edge to know where the terrain actually ends. It seems logical to go to the DEM loader and use the exact XY size of the DEM as the dimensions of the image, though seeing the edges of the image map bleed over the edge of the DEM makes it hard to be sure if that's doing the trick. Still, matching the DEM dimensions does look very close, so maybe I'm simply wanting some assurance that's the way it's done.

Lastly, the dimensions of the DEM show in 'metres'..so would it be sensible for the future to make sure all DEMs and matching image overlays (converted in Global Mapper) use metre-scale, just to avoid potential headaches?
Thanks...

Oshyan

Almost all units in Terragen are in metres. Image scale is measured in meters. If you're using a regular Image Map Shader, then taking the size from the DEM loader and using it for the size in the Image Map Shader should work fine, as long as the position origin is the same for both. In Terragen 3.1 if your image data is georeferenced you should be able to load it with the Geog Image Map Shader and it'll take care of correct positioning for you.

- Oshyan