Rattlesnake Ridge

Started by zaxxon, March 12, 2014, 10:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregtee

Maybe use the same sun angle as the last image but drop the elevation so it just rakes over the tops of the bushes.  Would look pretty dramatic.
Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

mhaze

Jo Kariboo

Excellent work ! light and vegetation !  :)

ratfugel

Hi Zaxxon, Sorry to be a pain. I seem to have lost it somewhere along the line importing ST into T3.  I am getting the tree images OK but they just render black, without any coloured materials. I know that I set up the obj's correctly in ST and that the materials actually arrive into T3.  However I keep getting a screen saying T3 cannot find the materials. Any idea why? Checking out the various nodes, the stuff seems to be there, but it don't show up where it should.  ??????

rat. 

zaxxon

As suggested I lowered the sun elevation as low as intervening terrain contours would allow, but I also made some composition tweaks with POV and foliage and raised the cloud level a bit. This image is probably it for this setup, and it's been a fun scene to wander around in. Where I am right now though Spring is exploding in a cacophony of greens and is too beautiful to linger in an Autumn world, so on to a new theme.

Ratsfugel: I don't know? Post a .tgc and I'll see if I can figure it out.  Glad to see you're pushing on with ST though.

TheBadger

Well, thats just plain good. Perfect solution with the light too. Get to keep my shade, and there is a better rules of 3rd use with the balance of lights and darks. Nice plants again too  8)
It has been eaten.

gregtee

ratfugel

Hey Zaxxon,  Thought you'd better see what they look like. The .tgc  I am using  is Broadleaf_HighDetail_Example 01, which you may be familiar with. I am pretty sure all the leaf and bark details in TG3.  It's just a matter of making it find it, I think. Not much point in importing any other trees until I've cracked this one.

rat.

gregtee

I get that a lot too.  I found that sometimes the shaders have a lot of reflectivity attached to them.

zaxxon

Ratsfugel: here are a couple of illustrated screen grabs that may help.  As Greg mentioned specularity settings can be problematic and need to be adjusted. Opacity settings, and map assignments are critical to having the objects show properly. Provided you exported the ST mesh properly (see example below) you should have png or tiff output with 'Y' axis up, ST defaults to .tga which is a problem for TG.  The shader network in TG is pretty straightforward, and will auto-load some, but not all of the maps you will need. For the "branch shader" you should load the png/tiff image in the 'Opacity' slot (see example below), remember to check the 'use alpha channel" box. The same image most likely auto-loaded into the diffuse slot, if not load it in. The "cap shader" needs to have the 'Opacity' slot manually loaded with the png/tiff image named 'cap 1' (same as the diffuse image). The leaves also need the leaf image manually loaded into the 'Opacity' slot with the 'use alpha channel' box checked. The 'specularity' settings in the leaf map are contingent upon scene and lighting requirements, the defaults rarely work for me. There are more map types available, but these basics should allow you to create some cool stuff. I've included graphic representations of everything mentioned here, as well as a render from those settings. Good luck mi amigo, let me know if you have any problems or questions.

ratfugel

Hi Zaxxon,  Thanks for your help.  I had been doing all you say, just as you first explained, However the problem persisted.  Spoke to Oshyan about this and a reinstall was suggested.  Did this and the problem disappeared!  See attached. I find that if I open up the specified tree detail, (LHS of screen) then look at each stage of the tree construction, bringing up each little screen, I can then load the .png colour image  files and activate the alpha settings for every item.  This produces sets of nodes as you probably know.  I've not tried it for TGA's, simply because .png's work OK. I don't suppose many folks are interested in this, but ST's trees are better than most others I feel. So it was worth persevering.   Once again, grateful for your input on this. Now I'll try to put my money where my mouth is!!

regards
rat.

zaxxon

Glad you have it handled. Nice tree.

Zairyn Arsyn

Take me there!!!!

i really like this, excellent lighting, and population coverage

kinda reminds of a place ive been hiking nearby where i live.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/