Rattlesnake Ridge

Started by zaxxon, March 12, 2014, 10:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Terrain created in World Machine, all foliage created in Speedtree. Mitchell-Netravali pixel filter, detail .8, AA 12. Comments welcome.

Edit: ouch! I didn't like the modification to the first image upon viewing online, so here's a second image titled 'A'. I couldn't fathom how to delete the first one, sorry.

kaedorg

Nice image.
I especially like the groundcover of the foreground.

archonforest

Wow this is nice ;)
Like the foreground a lot...and the displacement of the veggies.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

mhaze

otakar

Very pretty. What's wrong with the original larger one? The second one seems overly compressed (looking at that ridge).

zaxxon

otakar: the 1st one had some post added blur which was compounded by whatever display algorithm that Planetside uses. The 2nd is actually a smaller size render w/o any post. This is my first go-round with the Mitchell-Netravali pixel filter and I'm not all that savvy as to any additional settings to 'sharpen' it a bit. I may re-render this with the Catmull-Rom filter.

Thanks to y'all for the feedback about the underbrush, the brushy foliage indeed was the primary focus with this image. Speedtree is a pleasure for sure.

Dune

Super foliage and very nice render indeed.

gregtee

I like to use the catmull- rom filter myself.  I'd rather have the image a little overly sharp and then soften it later as needed than the other way around.

Your foliage looks great.  I love all the dead underbrush.  I need to spend more time in Speedtree learning how to make that kind of stuff.  Unfortunately we only have one license of it and it seems it's always checked out so I don't get much chance to play with it.

In any case very good work.  Looking forward to seeing more. 
Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

zaxxon

Thanks for the great feedback!  Here's a couple more images from the scene with different lighting. These were both rendered with the catmull-rom filter at detail .8 and AA 10. I was pleased with how the objects stood up under the full-on light, and especially how TG's new GISD settings perform. Some composition tweaks between images, as well as some fairly major specularity setting changes on the foliage, the PS wiki info on 'specularity' was really helpful. Maybe another one or two in this series with some re-scaling of the brambly foliage and some more composition tweaking, we'll see. Greg: maybe Digital Domain should buy another license of ST if it's that popular  ;D

TheBadger

hmmm. You know, I think I like (of these new ones) the first with the darker foreground. To me it seems more "real". And for some reason I feel more... Comfortable? safe? calm?.. I don't know, just feel better while looking at it and imagining my self standing there. Maybe because I have been in the dessert with no water and know that shade is good. I don't know, I just like it better.
It has been eaten.

Hannes

I prefer the last one. I can almost smell the air. Great image!

Antoine

Very good use of vegetations.

Gannaingh

All of these are excellent! Very good vegetation.

choronr

Your lighting and plant variety and distribution are very good!