Objects in TG2

Started by N-drju, March 14, 2014, 03:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Recently I started using DAZ software to add some life to my renders (human beings) but I need your help cause it doesn't work as I expected. I didn't know where to put that topic so I'll just insert it here.

When my DAZ model is ready I insert it as an .obj into Terragen 2 and then remap it (as you do). However I get almost 40 parts shaders. :-\ When I remap it over and over at some point Terragen simply can't keep up and crashes. Later on when I try to load my TG file everything goes awry, probably because of the weight of all these parts shaders. When I try to render suchlike image TG crashes again.

So to make long shory stort, do you know how to reduce the parts shader to probably one or two (one for skin and the other for clothing)? I don't really know how to do it. I just accept any export options that I'm confronted with. :-\ I'm not really satisfied with that option but if another software is required, I'll be happy if you can point me in the right direction and explain the basics.

Many thanks for help. If you can't help - then thanks for reading at least. :)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Hannes

I guess this is a memory problem. Anyway you could try to export only parts of the human figure you are really going to use. As far as I know there are textures for eyelashes for example. Depending on how close you will get to the character, leave out what's not necessarily needed.
If you have access to another 3D software that's capable of reading the files this may be a bit easier than directly out of DAZ.

N-drju

Well, unfortunately I don't. :( Fully textured models work fine only if the scene is completely empty just like with default world settings. This makes me think I can at least paste them in later with the use of image processing software.

However I just realized that some of you guys do convert .obj files to .tgo! How do you do it, what program or converter do you use? ??? I never really had to resurface .tgo files so maybe this is the solution!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Hannes

Usually I use a program called Terragen to convert OBJs into TGOs  ;)
Yes, it's that simple. Once you have loaded your OBJ, go to the node network, rightclick your OBJ, go to "Save Object File" and save as TGO. You can still edit your textures then, but don't forget to resave if wanted.
Anyway as far as I know in Poser (and I think DAZ studio or such may be similar) you can delete unwanted parts of your object. If you export only the things you need, your object file should be smaller.

N-drju

Hah, I didn't realize that at all... :D Never paid attention to it, but I'll try that.

So you say I can, like, resurface the whole thing still in an .obj format and after that save it as .tgo with all surfaces merged there?

Hannes

I don't know, what you mean by "surfaces merged". The changes you make for the OBJ will be the same in the TGO afterwards.

N-drju

What I meant was whether these 42 parts shaders that I get will just be saved as one texture upon saving .obj as .tgo?

Hannes

No, they won't. The shaders will stay the same like in the OBJ file. What you mean is texture baking. TG isn't capable of that (yet ;)).

Dune

If some of the parts use the same texture or color you can combine them. Just use the one deafult shader and attach them to the appropriate parts. Then if you save it, it will be as many parts but less default shaders (and thus, perhaps less loading of the same texture files).

Klas

If you are using Windows you can use mtl2tgc http://www.terralights.de/terralightsII/Downloads/get=33.html
Load the .mtl then paste the object into TG2.

Hannes

Klas

This is an AutoIt Script (with .exe) that reads the .mtl file and gives a TG clip file as output with object loader and shaders. Because of using Image Map Shader for the Textures and not loading the same image again and again in the Default Shader it saves a lot of memory.

TheBadger

Hi

In response to just the OP part of this conversation, I can tell you I use a middle man. I use Daz to create base models (as detailed as I can get em'.) But then I import to Maya. Then when in maya I strip the daz import of anything I don't want from it, like rigging.

Daz has a maya pipeline in it. And then I save an OBJ from maya. Perhaps saving out to Some other program first, before coming to TG will also help you?

It has been eaten.

N-drju

Dear colleagues,

I'd like to thank you for all your thoughtful replies concerning this 3d model issue. I didn't even expect so many replies. I've managed to solve the problem I was having by, sort of, "squeezing" your ideas into one. First, I remapped object parts that use the same texture together, just as Ulco suggested. Later on I saved the "tidied-up" model as a .tgo file thanks to (almost 'miraculous' as I first thought ;D) tip from Hannes. That helped in two ways - I disburdened my computer from loading, in some cases, 52 default shaders and also reduced the size of the model file itself.

@ Badger & Klas
Your solutions are interesting, even though they seem slightly "unorthodox" to me. :) Unfortunately I don't have Maya nor mtl2tgc. I would certainly like to try that too but that'll happen only when I will be able to afford those programs you mention, unless of course some of them are free.

Anyhow, I appreciate your assistance! I'm posting in an image of my model's internal network just to give you idea of what I had to cope with. Certainly loading around ten DS is better than loading fifty-two!

[attach=1]

Hannes

Congratulations! You're probably the first TG user who uses a nipple shader!