Is government ethical?

Started by AP, March 27, 2014, 01:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Well I'm not that much expert in US politics and government but get this...

If we all agreed that we don't pay taxes because it means that government is robbing us, what would happen? Police would have no funding and there would be real crooks out there robbing us all the same. Of course you could finance suchlike institutions on voluntary basis. Still, no one would pay then because of a psychological effect that goes like "Why me? Someone else will pay their share" read: no one will.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

PabloMack

Humanity is "capable" of being peaceful without crime. But do we actually achieve that...and why do we not? Do we "contract" a company to punish criminals? Once you get enough people together cooperating, then I say you have government by definition. Institutions like the IEEE and the NFL are indeed governments. They are even referred to as "governing bodies". So let's be realistic. You can't have civilization greater than the size of a village without governments.

AP

Quote from: N-drju on March 27, 2014, 05:09:18 AM
Well I'm not that much expert in US politics and government but get this...

If we all agreed that we don't pay taxes because it means that government is robbing us, what would happen? Police would have no funding and there would be real crooks out there robbing us all the same. Of course you could finance suchlike institutions on voluntary basis. Still, no one would pay then because of a psychological effect that goes like "Why me? Someone else will pay their share" read: no one will.

Well, there are lots of concerns and questions from both ends of the spectrum, many legitimate ones.

AP

Quote from: PabloMack on March 27, 2014, 06:20:27 PM
Humanity is "capable" of being peaceful without crime. But do we actually achieve that...and why do we not? Do we "contract" a company to punish criminals? Once you get enough people together cooperating, then I say you have government by definition. Institutions like the IEEE and the NFL are indeed governments. They are even referred to as "governing bodies". So let's be realistic. You can't have civilization greater than the size of a village without governments.

We will never be 100% peaceful as a whole. That is unrealistic. I think the ideas that are flowing across the internet that people are trying to find ways to be less aggressive. The non-aggression principle is a great start. I think technology can bring us together in new ways and more understanding to more peace. Sure, there are bad people out there but that is nothing new. Cooperating in a voluntary means, I agree with. People can organize but what I want is to see voluntary cooperation without a gun pointed at your head.

AP

TheBadger

QuoteIs government ethical?
The idea of government is fundamentally morally upright and just. But my government is not, though it was certainly intended to be from the start.

The thing is, If all men were morally upright and just (righteous), then it would not matter what form of government was had, all would result in the same, a righteous body. Only we could argue about what form a perfectly wise people would create in the first place. But it would be moot, since no such people exist in this world now or ever before. Still, its an argument to raise our children in a certain light.
It has been eaten.

AP

Upon Infinity

AP

I like Stefan, we differ religiously but just about everything else, I am on board with.

archonforest

Short answer is: NO.
There are some cool guys in every Government for sure but there are groups around (way above Governments and countries...etc) and those guys don't give a damn about you and your family or even your country. They can start wars in between countries and take the profit in without a flinch...etc.
Like just follow how much countries were bankrupted by the "holly" Euro/IMF... :-\
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

AP

This is powerful, please spread this everywhere!

http://youtu.be/3TpIDX49b_A

TheBadger

Those links are cultish.
I think Jefferson is probably glad he is still dead.
It has been eaten.

PabloMack

Quote from: ChrisC on April 16, 2014, 12:27:57 AMThis is powerful, please spread this everywhere!

This is the result of waste and corruption:

http://www.usdebtclock.org/