Bushes, Briars and Brambles

Started by zaxxon, April 07, 2014, 11:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Continuing to experiment with dense and varied ground-cover populations created with SpeedTree. Also, version two of the Autumn scrub Oaks. Still a WIP in terms of some tweaking with compositional elements. Detail .8, AA 12, Enviro surface 1.24, Enviro color 1.0, OC 4, Bounce 2, Haze 2.14.  I'll post a link to a screen video tutorial showing the creation of the Blackberry Bush along with the textures in the sharing area. Thanks for viewing, and as always: comments and critiques are welcome!

archonforest

Dude this is awesome! Looking very real for me ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

kaedorg

Beautiful. If it is a WIP, the final will be perfection.

Very very good ground-cover

David

ADE

mhaze

zaxxon

Changed a couple of tree types, added better textures and mild displacement to tree bark, tweaked the compositional flow a bit. All foliage created with SpeedTree, custom assets. Thanks for viewing!

Hannes

Brilliant! The foreground looks like an old oil painting (this is meant as a compliment! ;D)

zaxxon

Thank you Hannes. Indeed that is a fine compliment. When I painted I always had an assortment of 'mangled' brushes to create these types of foliage effects, now it's ST objects used in much the same manner.

inkydigit

truly outstanding stuff... where's that rabbit?
:)
J

Oshyan

Very nice indeed, superb real-world complexity. My only criticism is that foreground, center blackberry leaf cluster looks rather flat, kind of betrays the photo-based nature of the leaf textures I think. Are the leaves geometry, or just billboard? If the latter, you might consider making a "hero" version of the model to go there. Or maybe vary up the leaf texture a bit.

- Oshyan

zaxxon

Oshayn: The leaves are just mesh cards with an image. Building custom meshes is on the to-do list; ST has a nice utility that is a max script for modeling compliant mesh objects, but I haven't delved into it. I know just the leaf you're speaking of, and a bit of tweaking is called for. Good eye!

Inkydigit: (love that name!) Thanks! Are we talkin' Br'er Rabbit who was raised in that there briar patch? or the one that was just carried off by the red-tailed hawk?

zaxxon

Final render in for this scene. Modified the front center to eliminate the distracting object. Thanks for all the positive comments!

mhaze

Excellent.  BTW i made a simple curved mesh in Silo and used that for the leaf billboards make the curvature pretty extreme.  Load the billboards as usual, load the mesh then add the textures, works great.

zaxxon

I noticed the curvature in your leaf model - nice! Love to have a copy of the mesh and image. Silo! Yeah, a very nice modeler, I haven't pulled it out in a while. ST has a maxscript for custom meshes that I'll mess with later this weekend. Hope we folks using ST aren't boring our friends on the forum, but the reason I have ST is as a strong companion serving my TG projects. Hopefully we'll see some TPF (Plant Factory) work here as well.

mhaze

I'll pack up the mesh and the leaves and post them in file sharing.