Outlook express

Started by Dune, April 30, 2014, 03:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I must ventilate my annoyance with old Bill. He scrapped OE from win7, and since we have to update, we lost a simple and effective mail client. So I took live mail, but the annoyance is this: I have 2 OS's on 2 partitions, one online (win7) and one offline (XP) where I work in PS, etc.. I used to be able to read mails from offline XP, but OE can't use the same mail folder as Live mail. And Live mail doesn't install on XP.
So, tried a number of email clients, but either they separate my different accounts' mails into their account's folder (inboxes and such), where I want them all in one inbox, or they don't import my addresses, or they won't install on offline OS........ WTF  >:( :(
I know, the answer would be to install/upgrade win 7 over XP on offline partition as well, but I hesitate.... maybe not all software works on win7....

Just to ventilate a bit... pffff.

archonforest

Well I guess u are not the only one who has problems with the "products" of Billy boy... :D

I just saw this this morning: If you're reading this newsletter using Microsoft's Internet Explorer, you may want to stop, as there is currently a severe vulnerability in it that affects all major versions of the browser from IE6 through IE11.
Data is from Cnet.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

That's why I have Google Chrome at work and Safari at home. :P

So from what I understand Ulco you have to shut down and reopen your computer over again on Win7 to read mail? That's exactly like having Windows and Mac while, despite appearances, there are not many programs and applications that work for both. And what if some of them work better on one system while others yet on another? It's crazy.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Life is getting more complicated every day. Well, I did manage to install Live Mail on XP offline, and can see the folder used by both versions from 'either side' now. It did mean some backing up before hand, to be sure, and indeed lost all mail in the process, but was able to restore that (finally by hand). I don't like automatic restoring at all (which Live mail did at first), as then there were suddenly more folders than I ever use, and sent items were sent by me, but also to me  ??? Inbox had mails with both to and from the same names/addresses.
How complicated is it to make something simple and customizable?

Google Chrome sends data to Google, I don't like that!

And yes, be careful on the web, now and ever! That's why I work offline, and occasionally switch (indeed) to go online. Less chance of being hacked and plundered.

choronr

Quote from: archonforest on April 30, 2014, 04:01:02 AM
Well I guess u are not the only one who has problems with the "products" of Billy boy... :D

I just saw this this morning: If you're reading this newsletter using Microsoft's Internet Explorer, you may want to stop, as there is currently a severe vulnerability in it that affects all major versions of the browser from IE6 through IE11.
Data is from Cnet.
I'm happy I chose 'Firefox in lieu of IE a number of years ago.

jaf

I have the same problem.  And also, I'm not into social media... Facebook, etc, and it seems more-and-more sites require you to use Facebook or something similar to participate.  If you go to an ESPN site and want to comment on a topic, you have to use a Facebook log-in.  >:(
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

archonforest

Quote from: jaf on April 30, 2014, 11:53:53 AM
I have the same problem.  And also, I'm not into social media... Facebook, etc, and it seems more-and-more sites require you to use Facebook or something similar to participate.  If you go to an ESPN site and want to comment on a topic, you have to use a Facebook log-in.  >:(

This social media bullcrap is just out of control...it is just simple ridiculous that u cannot do something without a damn Facebook logon >:(

choronr

Agree. Sounds like good ole GOV doesn't it?

Dune

People get fed up with the facebook stuff, no doubt. eating up all your precious time for so-called friends. I've got my friends here  ;)

yossam

Lady of the Lake

I don't use Facebook, refuse to, and don't do Twitter/etc.  I thought I was the only one that didn't like these things.  Way too invasive.  Wouldn't touch Google for a browser either.  Might have to download Firefox until IE gets fixed though.

TheBadger

Quote from: Dune on April 30, 2014, 12:47:00 PM
People get fed up with the facebook stuff, no doubt. eating up all your precious time for so-called friends. I've got my friends here  ;)

Im much more interested in what you guys are doing than what my "real world" friends are doing. You guys do much more interesting stuff  :D

I would laugh at your windows troubles, but truthfully all the security issues really make me worried. If the world is really moving to internet everything, than someone better start taking all this stuff seriously. Cause I get the distinct feeling there are some important people sitting in some fancy rooms some place having a real laugh at all of us. :o.. Also, windows sucks ;D
It has been eaten.

archonforest

I think the only people really enjoy Facebook and similar stuff are sitting at CIA or something. It is just a perfect open database of couple of millions of people. Names, addresses, photos friends...whatever they want...and it is free... :D

Dune

choronr

Give me the good old days in the '50s when all was good! No internet, no computers. Felt like creating landscape scenes? Just take out the sketch pad and go to work.