Beach

Started by Dune, May 11, 2014, 02:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Dull title, but I can't find my older thread as quick as I wanted, so here's a new one. Took 4.5 hours (detail 0.7 AA5), and I didn't even have transparency on. Probably due to DOF. Foreground can be better, I admit. Clouds also, but this was an experiment with feathering out clouds, and again, I admit, it's not very obvious here.

Oshyan

Quite a nice scene. I like the clouds. AA5 with DoF shouldn't be too bad. The water is reflective? Cloud quality? Was Defer Atmo/Cloud on?

- Oshyan

Dune

Cloud quality 1, no defer atmo, and water is just a water shader but no transparency. It was hanging way too long on the surf when transparency was still enabled, and it doesn't add that much depth anyway.

Oshyan

Roughness of the waves with reflectivity might be doing it. Did you happen to see if it spent longer on any particular area of the image?

- Oshyan

Dune

Yes, especially the lower surf area, and mostly a block on the right side. Like I mentioned some time back somewhere, render time can be increased enormously by tiny bits of an area with maybe hardly seen but rough displacements/spikes, that wouldn't be noticed in a final image anyway. I think if those minute areas can be 'sampled on a more average basis' it might be better. And then with reflection and transparency in mind. But I'm not a programmer...

mhaze

Superb! I too like the clouds.

Oleg S.

Gorgeous picture!

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

those waves are looking great from here ulco. I like the clouds a lot too. Feels nice.
It has been eaten.

zaxxon

The technical aspects are excellent (what else would they be  :)), but I think it is the light that captivates here.  There is a clarity and luminence that speaks of clear days beside the sea, really lovely.

oldm4n

Quote from: Dune on May 11, 2014, 02:51:03 AM
Dull title, but I can't find my older thread as quick as I wanted, so here's a new one.
maybe this one: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17920.msg173545.html#msg173545

how did you do the waves below, especially the thickness of these waves; I tried to do that but I can't.

superb image :)

Dune

I explained how I work here: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17920.msg174109.html#msg174109 The rest is up to you to experiment and find out, the information is all here on the forum somewhere (warping, stretching, simple shapes...).

Kevin F

Quote from: Dune on May 12, 2014, 02:57:57 AM
I explained how I work here: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17920.msg174109.html#msg174109 The rest is up to you to experiment and find out, the information is all here on the forum somewhere (warping, stretching, simple shapes...).

Yeah, but in all honesty Dune that's just too vague!

A bit like saying I made a wonderful 3 course meal using some edible food ingredients, mixing some of them and cooking some in an oven, made a sauce then cooled some cream and fruits in a freezer, and serving them all on plates or bowls!

I know you prefer people to experiment for themselves rather than just upload the TGC file, but some techniques would benefit from a little more info. The whole masking issue for example has never worked properly for me and so I never use it. Just can't get my head round it.

Thanks for your inspiration though, always a joy to see your work. :)

Dune

I know, but I'm not giving away everything just like that. I've spent an awful lot of time in getting to grips with TG and it's my job.

In view of your 'food parable' it would be like serving a meal, but you don't have a clue about what your eating  ;)

But I might put together a simple setup for the idea (might).