USGS how to?

Started by archonforest, May 28, 2014, 02:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Feel like this:  :o  :-\ :(  >:(  :'(
I am going bananas on this page.  :o  Can someone pls let me know how to get NED data out of this place? Starting to feel stupid as I tried already at least 5 times but a go nowhere. >:(

I found a tut that says I have to go here and choose Seamless viewer:
Seamless Data Warehouse Website – http://seamless.usgs.gov

But this page does not exist like this anymore.  >:(

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Upon Infinity

I have also had trouble trying to get info off this site.  Although to be honest, I have not sat down and given it an honest go, just done and attempted a bit to get some Geo-Tiff images.  First off, you have to have an account with the site.  To actually get the kind of images that could be turned into a heightfield object, I believe Oshyan showed how to do this in either the Terragen 3.0 or 3.1 demo on YouTube. 

TheBadger

What version of TG are you using? Ttere is a video for TG3 that Oshyan did for the pre release. If you are using TG3 you can use that video which explains things a bit. But Its not In-depth, so your english will have to be good enough to catch the little things that Oshyan says.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Rp4Go8jLs

It has been eaten.

archonforest

Oshyan

I'd like to do a video tutorial on this at some point and go step-by-step. But until then a few hints:

First, the current URL is: http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

Go there and find your area of interest. Navigation controls are similar to Google Maps. Ideally it should not be a really huge area.

Now click Download Data in the upper-right. You should then get a little pop-up window with some options for choosing what to download. I like "Draw and download by bounding box', but any of them are potentially useful, and in particular if you have zoomed all the way in to only show the *exact* area you want, then "Download by current map extent" may be good.

Once you select your download area, another window should pop up showing download data options. Check Elevation (second from bottom), and any other data you want. Then press Next.

You will then get a list of available data. There are usually a lot of similar options. The two major differentiators are 1: resolution (under the Resolution column), which is generally measured in arc-seconds, the smaller the number/fraction, the higher the resolution and bigger the files for equivalent area, and 2: format (format column), where you'll find there are lots of the exact same data (same resolution) just in different formats such as ArcGrid and IMG. The good news is Terragen 3 supports almost every format they offer, particularly in terms of heightfield/elevation data, so it doesn't really matter what you choose. Just find the data you want at the resolution you need (usually the highest available, unless file/download size is a concern for you), check it in the box to the left of that item, then click Next at the bottom when you've selected all you want (downloading multiple resolutions is not necessarily bad, but no need to download multiple formats of the same data).

Once selected your data option(s) should show up in the Cart to the left. Then press Checkout. You'll need to enter an email address, don't worry they won't spam you.

You should then get an email with download links. With really high resolution data (like 1/9 arc-second), you'll often have quite a few files to download unfortunately. You can use some download managers to make this easier, but it's a bit of a pain regardless. Still, tons of great, free data... :D

- Oshyan

archonforest

Geee....thx a lot! It was piss easy to get the data actually :D :D
Now I need to see how to get TG to digest it :)

Oshyan

Getting TG to digest it is at least as easy. Just load the biggest file inside the archive(s) you downloaded using the Heightfield (load DEM) option in the Terrain layout. ;)

- Oshyan

archonforest

Thx a bunch Oshyan! I managed! :D :D