I just can't afford it...

Started by N-drju, June 01, 2014, 02:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

That's why I'm switching back to Windows in case you were wondering...

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

archonforest

I feel ya man!
Here is the thing. Windows PC is cheaper and there is nothing that u cannot do with a PC. I do not think there is anything, any software for Apple that u cannot get for windows. Apple is not faster...it OS might be nicer than Windows and their hardware looks better than a normal PC but then what? I am not saying Apple is bad or so here but if for example u want an i5 system you will pay less for a PC. That's all. I worked on a MAC for a year. I did lots of design and typesetting work. Was not faster than an other PC in my office(almost same specs). I had problems with the fonts as the MAC did not recognized many fonts how it suppose to be...bahh...

Apple products are nice but manily for the rich hehehe...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

otakar

LOL, depicts the situation pretty well. Seeing lots of the newest Apple gadgets owned by people who don't need one or who should look harder at their finances. If you can't make your paycheck last a month comfortably do you really need that wristband?

Technology is on a crazy cycle anyway. My Samsung phone cost me $450 1.5 years ago. I can sell it back today for $50. Ridiculous! Planning on keeping it at least another 1.5 years.

TheBadger

Yeah, Im done with anything I don't need for work. If having it does not help me earn than Im not paying for it anymore. My smart phone will be the first thing to go. To small to work on, and the monthly service fees are stupid. I wont miss it!

A nice TV and a good enough workstation is all I need of all these gadgets... Ok and good audiophile headphones too... And maybe a nice sound system in the house... In the car...
It has been eaten.

archonforest

N-drju

I guess there's no harm in having some nice tech-gadgets. But I stress the word some.

As far as I'm concerned I don't really need any of these. Just like Badger said - a good computer is fairly enough. I think that there are so many other things that can underline someone's status... But it looks like most people are very superficial and have to rat-race each other buying new electronics.

I still don't have a "smart"-phone or tablet. I'm using Nokia mobile (which is by some considered an AK-47 among mobile phones ;)) and I'm fine with that. My last electronic show-off was yesterday when I bought myself three Kingston's Data Traveler SE3's because I liked the golden color and because I need some extra space. But that's it!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Upon Infinity

I just picked up the Surface Pro 2.  Love it.  Probably do me for the next 3 years...

Dune

I'm with N-drju; don't need all the newest stuff with gadgets you don't really need, or just to show off how fancy you are. It's complicating life and emptying your wallet/bank account. A 15 year old Nokia for emergencies is my Iphone. I don't want to answer calls when I'm hiking. And a good computer of course.

masonspappy

Quote from: Dune on June 12, 2014, 05:08:18 AM
don't need all the newest stuff with gadgets you don't really need,
AMEN

inkydigit

I still have my old G3 iMac... and 3G iPhone, both work fine as glorified (if not slightly elaborate) iPods!!!
....When the iMac needed to be replaced it had to be done... it's replacement will last for as long as possible; but unfortunately all technology is expensive, and ultimately will become obsolete, unless you upcycle/recycle maybe??
LOL also@ The Badger - audiophile headphones, what were you looking at?
Audiophile is good, but not cheap... I have a little pair of Sennheiser ear-buds for my 'iPod', not top of the range, but still great sound... I will get some more HD 25s to replace my stolen pair.... :( ...when I save enough dough.
cheers
J
:)

matrix2003

So .... I shouldn't buy the 4K monitor?    ::)
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*

N-drju

Can you rephrase that as a moral question? :D

TheBadger

Oh yes, 4k tv when the price is right and enough content. I will count a good screen with a good work station.

But I swear if I find out the NSA/google/AT&T is watching me watch a game of thrones, Im gonna kill someone!
It has been eaten.

archonforest

Quote from: TheBadger on June 16, 2014, 06:32:31 PM
But I swear if I find out the NSA/google/AT&T is watching me watch a game of thrones, Im gonna kill someone!

It can happen :D

Upon Infinity

In Soviet America, TV watches you.