Curve, expand and cut

Started by pachalmars, July 18, 2007, 11:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pachalmars

Hi there,

Here are a few clip files i use for terrain modifications.

The curve.tgc file apply a simple and single curve to a fixed altitude range. The curve uses a power function so it's parabolic, just tune the parameter node to fit your desire (a value of 1 leaves the terrain unchanged, 2 applies a square curve and 0.5 applies a square root curve, any other value is possible but i recommend values above 0)

The curve_adv.tgc does the same as above, but with a circular curve. The shape parameter determine the radius of the circle. Any value except 0 is possible. Values close to 0 leave the terrain unchanged.
This function is more complex than the previous one, so it will probably be much slower.

The expand.tgc file modify a fixed altitude range by lowering or rising the max altitude (its action is similar to the clamp node in world machine)

The cut.tgc file just remove the terrain above a certain altitude.

To create more complexe curves, insert those nodes a few times with successive altitude ranges and different parameters.

To use those files plug your terrain in the "get altitude" and the "displacement" nodes and use the output use the displacement shader as the output.

If you need more explanations or exemples, just ask.

rcallicotte

Thanks.  I can't wait to try these.  Have you done work with them already?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

inkydigit

thanks for sharin...look forward to seeing what these do!

old_blaggard

Good idea - thanks for putting those together.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

pachalmars

Hi, here comes a little example of those functions.

I used two curve to create the cliffs on the foreground and on the mountains, and an expand to create the flat part.
The functions were slightly modified by replacing the constant "power" node by a power fractal in order to vary the modifications.

And i'm still trying to add a mask input...

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

ProjectX

Cool, I'll have a look at these in a bit more detail, it looks like a good mixture will provide some nicely varied terrains. Nice work!