At the Woods - WIP

Started by mesocyclone, June 22, 2014, 01:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesocyclone

Hello folks!

I want some help on how to improve this.
Atmosphere samples=164, Cloud quality=1, Defer atmo/cloud=on and I couldn't get rid of the grain.

Models used are Betula Lenta and Grand Fir from Xfrog and Grass 1 from Walli.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the bench I've found for free on turbosquid. It came without textures so the colour is a default shader.

archonforest

Last time I had this I handled it mainly higher Atmo samples. That time I had to go up around 120. As a first thing I would just crank up the samples a bit more and do a crop render...
Also higher AA setting can help on this.
Otherwise it is a very nice scene!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

mesocyclone

I've used a ground-level cloud layer to make the mist in this scene. Should I raise my Atmo samples even higher? Or the cloud quality above 1? Also, my AA is as high as the free version can go.

Should I go for customized sampling? Don't know too much what to do...  :-\

Oshyan

In a situation like this you are limited in how good you can do with Defer Atmosphere because of the AA limits in the free version. So Defer Atmosphere may *not* be the best approach for this scene (hard to say though, it is probably worth experimenting a little more with).

The very first thing you should do is determine whether the rays (and noise) are coming from Atmosphere or Clouds. Try turning off your cloud layers and see whether the noise and/or rays go away. If so, then you may need to increase cloud quality rather than atmosphere samples. In fact, if that is the case, I would suggest reducing atmosphere samples way back down to say 32 (164 is reeaallly high with Defer Atmo, it will make renders take a long time), and then increase Cloud Quality to see if that helps with the noise more. Going above cloud quality of 1 is not generally needed, however if you're using Defer Atmosphere and you can't go above AA3, then it may be necessary.

Just keep in mind that with Defer Atmosphere, the quality (and noise) is directly influenced by the AA level, and since you have limits in how high you can go there, it just may not work in the end. But the most important thing is to figure out where that noise is coming from in this case...

- Oshyan