vertical contrails ?!

Started by russe166, June 25, 2014, 07:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russe166

Hi!

I tried to make a contrail that is not only horizontal, but got a vertical part in it.
This happened only by accident because I forgot to unplug the vortex warp from the final density modulator.

[attachimg=1]

But I have not the slightest idea why that works.

Does anyone know what is going on inside the cloud layer v2 and why this setting works?

Michael

Ogre

I created a function some time ago located here
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,4090.msg159237.html#msg159237
The posted version moves in the Y direction. If you need it more in the Z or X direction you could switch the function inputs for Y and the desired direction (X or Z).
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

fleetwood

In your file the linear image providing the cloud density is Y projected from above. Your vortex is set to warp in the Z plane and the center of the warp is set to 0,0,0 or ground level.
Making the cloud depth 5000 and giving the vortex a higher value of vorticity (3) reveals a bit more about what is happening.

russe166

Hi!

Thanks for the link and the explanation. Both were very helpful, but I have one question left:

Why does the cloud, when I use both the 'density shader' and the warped 'Final density modulator', look like the result in the image?

I want to understand how the 'cloud layer v2' shader works. I do not see the connection between the two cloud shapes and the final result.

Does anyone know what is the logic behind the cloud layer v2 ?