Total System Failure.

Started by Upon Infinity, June 27, 2014, 02:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upon Infinity

Ok, so my main PC just died last night.  Does anyone here have experience recovering hard drives?  What have you found works best?  I did a little preliminary research and discovered that there are these SATA / IDE to USB adaptors that look promising.  I'll probably try one of these first.

archonforest

The adapter works well. U can also just take your HDD and stuff it in another PC and download the data. ;) Hope your hdd did not died...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Upon Infinity

Quote from: archonforest on June 27, 2014, 02:47:57 PM
The adapter works well. U can also just take your HDD and stuff it in another PC and download the data. ;) Hope your hdd did not died...

Yeah, me too.  I could lose between 6-8 months of work.  The BIOS is still working and I attempted to back it up through Windows Recovery, but it gets part way through the system scan and then shuts the machine off.  So the HDD is at least partially working, and it looks as though only the Windows is corrupted.  In any event, I won't be rendering for awhile.  :(

jaf

I use a "Thermaltake BlacX eSATA USB Docking Station".  It's sold on Amazon and several other stores.  It's showing it's age (usb2) but it's nice that you don't have to open up another computer.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Upon Infinity

I use a windows tablet.  Can I use this adapter without an installation cd?  Will it just be plug and play?

Dune

You need backups, always! Hope you can recover your work.

Upon Infinity

Okay, adapter works great! Looks like I can recover everything.  Kind of makes you wonder why we have passwords, though, when these things can be backdoor hacked so easily...

archonforest

Quote from: Upon Infinity on July 01, 2014, 12:19:23 AM
Kind of makes you wonder why we have passwords, though, when these things can be backdoor hacked so easily...
This is not that easy as u have to remove the hdd from the case. I had a faster solution before. A bootable CD that was able to change your windows password... ::) Less than 10 minutes you can do whatever u want with that PC. I used it once to delete my forgotten Admin password... :D

Upon Infinity

Scratch the thing about it being easy.  Looks like my old user folder is giving me some trouble due to permissions.  Looking online, it looks like there is a way to access it, but it's not going down without a fight.

archonforest

wow! Never had this problem. I thought when u go via an adapter u must have all rights to copy or whatever... :o