Bryce Arch

Started by Paul, July 19, 2007, 07:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

I've been playing around with the symmetrical lattice in Bryce. You can draw arches, hoodoos and the like with the brushes. They need to face the camera straight on since they have a seam. I'm starting to play with the booleans trying to make a cave. Bryce 5.5 is available for free on CNET. it doesn't come close to Terragen's realism but may be useful for modeling.

rcallicotte

Nice.  I see Bryce an extra tool as well.  There's a way to take TERs from Terragen .9 into Bryce, change them and then create them so they'll fit into TG2.  I've done this with some satisfaction a few times.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Bryce has good terrain generation tools, but I'll take TG2's or even TG 0.9's renderer over it any day.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Roger.

Quote from: old_blaggard on July 19, 2007, 01:22:43 PM
Bryce has good terrain generation tools, but I'll take TG2's or even TG 0.9's renderer over it any day.

Paul

I've been playing with Bryce rocks and you can make some interesting formations. Bryce will generate randomn rocks in all different shapes. You can't export individual rocks but if you make them positive, group them, and convert them you can export. I open them in Truespace and smooth the groups using Quad Divide and save them as OBJ. When you import them into Terragen you can use the multi- shader to give each rock it's own texture.

DeathTwister

Poul is that Picture done in Bryce? or tgd2? and did you bring the rocks into TGD2? it sure don't look like Bryce to me at all, if you did import them, how you do it? maybe share a link to a tut? or at least how ya did that?
DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Paul

This is rendered in TGD2. I imported OBJ files as follows:
1. In Bryce I used the STONE tool to generate randomn rocks
2. I moved them around, rotating and sizing them for the fit I wanted
3. Once they looked good I selected all of them using a rectangle select (don't include the ground)
4. Then OBJECTS>ATTRIBUTES
5. I clicked the POSITIVE radio button (this allows a Boolean Add operation)
6. Then OBJECTS>GROUP OBJECTS
7. To Convert click the C button in the column of buttons next to the group
8. To Export select FILE>EXPORT

I open this object in Truespace and chose Smooth Quad divide twice to smooth out the edges. There are probably other Apps that will do the same thing. Then save as OBJ. When imported into TGD2 the textures are all black. You can give it one image map shader or use the Multi Shader and give each rock it's own texture.

DeathTwister

Now that is just flat out incredible my friend, well done and very well thought out, Wow, very cool.

Thanks.
DT
ATOMIX Productions

rcallicotte

Cool, Paul.  Thanks for the information.

DeathTwister

Hay there, OK I have a small problem and I think you can help me quickly here.  Just need help on number 7 is all.

Quote1. In Bryce I used the STONE tool to generate random rocks
2. I moved them around, rotating and sizing them for the fit I wanted
3. Once they looked good I selected all of them using a rectangle select (don't include

the ground)
4. Then OBJECTS>ATTRIBUTES
5. I clicked the POSITIVE radio button (this allows a Boolean Add operation)
6. Then OBJECTS>GROUP OBJECTS
7. To Convert click the C button in the column of buttons next to the group
8. To Export select FILE>EXPORT

OK I am good all the way up to: 7. To Convert click the C button in the column of buttons next to the group This is where you loose me big time.  I have Bryce 5 and as far as I can see and I have looked everywhere, I have no button called C  I would imagine it meant convert? But I have no button called that either anywhere I could find.  So that means I cannot export out the new Object, which is something I would love to be able to do.  So my question is this, where and what is the C button on what column of buttons were you reffering to?  I am all confused there.  Other then that looks like it is a go for me, but this made me run into a brick wall, dumb artist that I am, Derrr.  Help Mr. Wizard, I need help lolol.

I have Bryce Open right now waiting to know where to go /chuckles, you got me all excited bout this....hahahahaha

DT
ATOMIX Productions

Volker Harun

You will not be able to export with Bryce 5 ... Version 6 can do it, though.

DeathTwister

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Don't say that, dang it.  That just bumbed my whole day out, dang, KK, Well at least it is a good FYI for others before they get all excited and gooie inside, Dang..../hangs head in sorrow and ambles off.............
ATOMIX Productions

j meyer

Do not despair there is a solution!
Open a rock,click on E,then press ctrl+d that should open the export dialogue,
you can even choose the desired format.
Hope that helps.

Edit:removed something unnecessary.

j meyer

OMG,it was too late already.

DeathTwister

Hahaha,

thanks for the keyboard short cut worked like a charm, thankies very much, I will post next day or 2 what I came up with soon as I have time to play some, but I made some arches and Monoliths so it should be fun.  I take it that Max and or XSI will do the same things you were talking about with your software?

DT
ATOMIX Productions