Way to Go

Started by mhaze, July 17, 2014, 07:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

I would appreciate your opinions, as I'm not sure about the abbey.  Any other c&c welcome.

Abbey me, plants walli and Mr Lampost

archonforest

Cant see any problem with the abbey...
Picture looking great for me :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Kadri

It does have a grand feel. Nice :)

TheBadger

First,
The terrain is really freaking great. Rocks color texture, all of it.

As far as the abby goes, it does not make sense to me. I mean, where it is with no road and no other structures, it does not make visual or logical sense.
But, the idea makes sense and I like it a lot. I think you need to use a structure that would be built way up there where no one can get to, think monks. Or if you are sure you want ruins, use something where one would find an 'oracle'.

But if the abby is what you want, move it done to the open space lower right (don't hide it in the back) and give some indication of how the building was used; remnant of a path/road.

IMO based on the rocks and colors and feel. The location you currently have the abby would suit a fortress much better. But should still have a road/path to that peak.

Just what I think.
It has been eaten.

Walli

the terrain and surface are really great and the plants blend in in a nice way! About the abbey - probably you can blend that object into the terrain, here in our area we often have old ruins that seem to grow out of the rock

Walli

here you can find some examples, how the buildings blend into the rock formations: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fr%C3%A4nkische+schweiz+burg&t=lm

mhaze

Thanks.  Badger, the brown streak wending it's way up the mountain is a path! old, no longer used and beginning to fade.  However I am not happy with the abbey.  Walli, I like the idea of it being more of the rock. I shall investigate.

zaxxon

Wonderful texturing! Great cloud formations, not sure about the Abbey though. A really fine image Mick!

fleetwood

I like this, especially all the lighting variations as the terrain recedes. I have no problem with the abbey being located where it is.

We don't know the history of the mountain or the culture of the area or what's on the other side of the mountain. (there could well be a helicopter pad over there and this ruin was purpose built to do one single wedding for some romantic billionaire)

I think there could be more lighting or color variation in the abbey ruin itself to bring its features out of darkness.

masonspappy

Quote from: TheBadger on July 17, 2014, 08:22:27 AM
The terrain is really freaking great. Rocks color texture, all of it.

As far as the abby goes, it does not make sense to me.
Agree with TheBadger on both counts.  There's something about the abby that seems out of place.

archonforest

Quote from: fleetwood on July 17, 2014, 09:43:27 AM
We don't know the history of the mountain or the culture of the area or what's on the other side of the mountain. (there could well be a helicopter pad over there and this ruin was purpose built to do one single wedding for some romantic billionaire)

I like your thinking ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

mhaze

I've extracted the mesh - there's a road on the other side of the hill quite naturally formed by the original power fractal ;D - I shall not be using it - you'll have to imagine it :( changing the landscape round is too much fuff :-\ I might do another pic though.

j meyer

The abbey seems to be rather huge,as indicated by the size of the arches.
Therefore it would help,if there was a little something like a pillar with a
piece of wall or so a bit further away than the main chunks to suggest a
larger covered area to the viewer.
Also one of the arches should be broken to enhance the "ruinity".

Dune

Maybe hit the cirrus seed another time; it seems like its cloud lines are extended into the rock (under the abbey).

choronr

The rock textures and plant distribution are outstanding realism. Little more to do here.