Request to the TG Community

Started by monks, July 20, 2007, 05:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monks

Hi folks, re: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1627.45

I'm glad to hear that the water functionality is being developed.  :) :)

Last night before I read the linked thread, I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to post a request on the boards to the community. So here goes.
There are two developers who want to render terrain and water in TG2. Johannes for GeoControl and RedRobes @ the ME-DEM Project (for Geomorpher). Their terrain modellers can output water as heightfields; something which many folks in the community have requested; certainly they've requested more control over rivers and lakes (even ice) which this feature enables.

Would it be possible to supply a link to the terrains and files? Are there any people out there who could write a wee tutorial or have a go at this and give some structured feedback? I've seen some promising (and good) results but no tuts as yet on this. I think this is something that will benefit everyone interested in terrain modelling so any results could be posted on the Terrain Summit forums as well ;).

Thanks for your help!

monks

nikita

You could simply hook up a heightfield shader to the water shader. I didn't test it, but it'll probably work.

dyarza

Quote from: nikita on July 20, 2007, 05:17:03 AM
You could simply hook up a heightfield shader to the water shader. I didn't test it, but it'll probably work.

It works.  Just tested it.

;)

monks

:D Thanks guys! I've linked the thread to the devs so whatever comes up will help.

monks

DeathTwister

Hay dyarza,

Could you shoot us a screen of what you did? and how it looks?  Thanks, very interesting the way we can switch those shaders all over the place it seems.
DT     /waves at Monks
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

ProjectX

I've done it before a couple of times in my renders, one for an IOTW image, and once to control the colour of the oceans (to simulate sub-surf in tropical oceans)

IOTW image: http://www.ashundar.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4079

Mavcat

I tested it too and it didnt work,can anyone explain how exactly please? :P

DeathTwister

Hay Project X, nice shot you did.  By chance you make a Tut or have the tgd2 file or the tgc files we can play with?
DT
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

monks

Whoah, ProjectX that's pretty dramatic! Ashundar was down yesterday so I couldn't get through. From that shot it's obvious it can be done. I've seen other pics around here but not tuts, or simple walkthroughs.

monks

ProjectX

It's a simple process, you make your terrain, then, in the shaders tab, you give your base colours a nice blue colour (the previous node in the water shader determines colour) and then you go add layer> surface shader> water shader. Render and you're done.

Mavcat

Quote from: ProjectX on July 24, 2007, 04:28:09 AM
It's a simple process, you make your terrain, then, in the shaders tab, you give your base colours a nice blue colour (the previous node in the water shader determines colour) and then you go add layer> surface shader> water shader. Render and you're done.

At first it didnt work,but when i deleted my base colours it worked. Thanks

ProjectX

really? Mine worked with the base colour node still there.

BTW I didn't do any node trickery for this, I just used the menus.

Mavcat

Quote from: ProjectX on July 24, 2007, 06:40:47 AM
really? Mine worked with the base colour node still there.

BTW I didn't do any node trickery for this, I just used the menus.

When i used the base colour node,it just applied the colour,and it didnt became water. I uses the menus too ^^

monks

For anyone interested, there's a zip to a terrain, water masks (rivers and lakes) and a colourmap on the ME-DEM ftp:

[link expired]

Thanks to Sethren for those :)

monks