Lighting the clouds from underneath

Started by AC5LT43R, July 16, 2014, 05:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

One last tweak. There was no variation in the intensity across the lit areas so I split off a separate adjustment of the mask image and multiplied it by a scalar (the desired luminosity amount) and fed that into the luminosity function.  Works much better on the global city lights image.  Turned the luminosity down to 15 to reduce the glow around the "lights".
To make the circles the final colour adjust of the "craters" setup uses 0 0

AC5LT43R

Awesome, thanks!

I've used the same technique (except I haven't used the crater thing just yet) and the ground is lighting the clouds but I don't get any light in the ground. Even when the luminosity is set to 100.

Another method I used (before I read this) was to create 6 pretty large light sources, set the colour of them to R:255 G:000 B:000 and then set the moon colour to R:000 G:000 B:255, turn off the atmosphere and GI, then used Nuke to colour correct them using the RGB channels.

bigben

I think this says a lot about TG that you can apply a few basic principles to some real world data in a default TGD and get some very realistic effects (the lighting on the clouds, not my crude city lights)